Apfelwein fermentation process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomwirsing

Reaction score
I started some apfelwein in early March. OG=1.054 ( Surprisingly low as I followed the recipe). When I checked a couple of weeks ago the SG was just under 1.000. However, I am still seeing bubbles rising to the top, albeit very slowly.

This is my first experience with wine yeast (one packet of Montrachet), and I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me what to expect. I've seen people say apfelwein should sit 8 months and I've seen people drinking it after 2 months. How long will it keep bubbling? Is the bubbling a result of the yeast cleaning up byproducts of fermentation? Will his improve the product?

Any and all comments are welcome.

My experience with apfelwein is that the bubbles are just co2 being released. I let mine sit in the carboy for a month and bottled it. Half I bottled still and the other half i bottled carbed

After 2 months in the bottles the still batch carbed up, i know for a fact fermentation was done as it was bottled at .0996, others have told me that i didnt degas it and basically it reabsorbed the co2.

hopefully that answers a question, if you in doubt rack it to a secondary or just let it sit for another week or so.

don't worry.. if your sg is below 1.000, that mean all sugar is finish fermented. the only possible it bubbled is due to heat that force co2 to release, or shaking of carboy cos it release. if better, try to let your applewine aging for 6-8 month..my 1 now sit for 4 month already... really cant wait to try it..

Latest posts

Back