What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Former finish carpenter; current psychotherapist (LICSW), avid DIYer. Helping engineers manage their frustrations and marriages [emoji481]

Aerospace engineer. Spend more time thinking about the equipment and automation, than I do about brewing!

I didn't even like beer. My boss suggested that I should try brewing BECAUSE I was an engineer Was hooked after my first amber ale.

I've been a senior civil engineering technician for 30 years, the pic says it all:
download.jpg

Somehow my job morphed into this - it sucks...

Pathologist in Norway.

Brewing Clarex-aided gluten reduced beer due to celiac disease.

Attachments

• B339EAB2-2DDC-4770-90FC-9B8978AA2E08.jpeg
    B339EAB2-2DDC-4770-90FC-9B8978AA2E08.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 69
I am a mechanical engineer, and I find that home brewing appeals to my tendency to get geeky with technical literature and calculations, while using similar skills used in cooking, something else I enjoy.

Well, the list is short and few but the time(and mileage) is long. I have an Associates in Applied Science in Horticulture, specifically Turfgrass management and Landscaping. But that was 30 yrs ago.
Im a Union Millwright (Birmingham ,AL local 1192)coming from 25 yrs of being a Union Carpenter(Joliet ,IL local 174)done everything from residential to industrial including refineries and power plants-from nuclear to coal and natural gas fuels . Auto manufacturing plants...its all UBC ...I make Engineer's paper/CAD written ideas come true...usually with improvements .

Last edited:
I'm a mechanic. You know, the one who has to fix and correct what engineers design:).

I'm also a packrat and extreme DIY'er, which suits me well in this hobby!

As a hopefully future engineer. To all the non-engineers that personally work with engineers. What do you want to see in an engineer? I want to get the job done without seeming arrogant and have a strong work relationship with everyone.

I have an automotive background but I'm sure it applies to many fields.

Talk to the people who deal with the product in the field.

I see so many things that fail and are hard to deal with or repair that, with a different approach, method or location wouldn't be an issue.

I was once a Combat Engineer in the Army, but after clearing landmines and IEDs I decided on a safer job, so I became a Paramedic, well 3 years later I am laying on a partner in our station house as drug dealers are shooting it out across the street. It dawned on me that at least in the Army I had a rifle to shoot back with... So now I am a Physician Assistant, solving people's problems.

As a hopefully future engineer. To all the non-engineers that personally work with engineers. What do you want to see in an engineer? I want to get the job done without seeming arrogant and have a strong work relationship with everyone.
As a Millwright ,Id like to see an engineer that accepts the fact that everything that "works on paper" does not work in real life . I literally had to shorten a NEW conveyor 130mm in the Huntsville ,AL toyota engine plant because the engineer planned it in its place and it didn't physically work. CAD does NOT show everything in reality.

Former finish carpenter; current psychotherapist (LICSW), avid DIYer. Helping engineers manage their frustrations and marriages [emoji481]
how does one go from a finish carpenter to psychotherapist??? Thats like a bank robber going to a career in bank security?

As a Millwright ,Id like to see an engineer that accepts the fact that everything that "works on paper" does not work in real life . I literally had to shorten a NEW conveyor 130mm in the Huntsville ,AL toyota engine plant because the engineer planned it in its place and it didn't physically work. CAD does NOT show everything in reality.
What works on paper doesn't necessarily mean it works in real life. Got it[emoji106]

In all fairness, engineers are just fine and I would say they're easier to deal with on average than some other professionals. Graphic designers come to mind, who clearly have no soul. I mean, they're okay, but I'd rather gnaw off my own leg than work with one.

Anyway, as for engineering... like any other inter-professional relationship, I would just strive to be flexible and mindful of your counterpart's perspective while staying true to your own. The best solution is often in the middle ground.

If there any graphic designers present, I sincerely apologize, and it's all the engineer's fault.

Last edited:

Some people just get rubbed the wrong way by people smarter than them. No matter what you do you’ll seem arrogant to many people. And it’s not you. There are just a lot of people out there who think they are smarter than they really are and are jealous of other people’s success.

Do what you do to the best of your abilities. Make friends where possible, and certainly don’t make enemies.

Some people just get rubbed the wrong way by people smarter than them. No matter what you do you’ll seem arrogant to many people. And it’s not you. There are just a lot of people out there who think they are smarter than they really are and are jealous of other people’s success.

Do what you do to the best of your abilities. Make friends where possible, and certainly don’t make enemies.

Agree!
U mean IQ?, EQ?, or other?
Does anyone exist with 100% in all
Intelligences?

No, but close, and I do work with engineers a lot: lab technician doing semiconductor research (specifically photolithography).

Wildlife Biologist turned Water Treatment Geek, 20+ years ago.

Somehow, Wildlife people end up in water treatment. BS in Wildlife Management from Eastern Kentucky University. Right out of college, started with an environmental laboratory, which led to water utilities. The water business has been very good to me.

how does one go from a finish carpenter to psychotherapist??? Thats like a bank robber going to a career in bank security?

Carpentry paid the bills till I went to grad school. I still do as much as I can, sometimes for pay[emoji41]. Really I just like putting things together (stairways, cabinets, mash tuns, etc) to balance out the therapy.

EE here. I've been talking about brewing beer for years, just moved to Utah and the lack of access finally pushed me over the edge. I'm thinking second brew day this weekend.
Welcome to Utah.

If you're in the Salt Lake Valley (and if you're a non-LDS person living in Utah I sure do hope you're either in Salt Lake Valley or Summit County) you should join one of our home brew clubs. I'm in the Lauter Day Brewers (the Lord's Favorite Homebrew Club) so I'm partial to that one. You'll have unlimited samples of the best beer in the state at the monthly meetings.

Back