Shoud I pitch more yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mparmer

Reaction score
I have my second batch in a plastic fermenter now for one week. My bubbling in the airlock lasted about one day but I think my temp was too high (as high as 80 during the hot afternoons). This high temp situation lasted about 3 days until I figured out a solution (i moved a window a/c unit in the room and now it's staying about 64 degrees) Now. This moring I took a hydro reading - 1.02 and it's been a week. I plan on leaving it one more week in the primary before bottling. Should I repitch yeast or not worry about it. I suppose when I take the final reading next Sat, I could re-pitch then and wait a 3rd week if it's still not any closer to the FG I'm shooting for. The OG was about 1.05 and I'm looking for the FG to be 1.012. Thanks

My (drunken) advice would be to pitch the yeast again, but most importantly you obviously want to be sure that you don't bottle before the yeasties are done working their zymurgic magic, which would result in glass grenades.

If you repitch or not, to be safe, I'd test the gravity every couple days for a week. If it isn't changing, bottle that thing. N U Lettuce know howzitastes, mkay?

Can you post the recipe and type of yeast you used? That might help diagnose the problem.

As far as your plans on when to bottle it. If I were you, I'd give up those plans. The beer runs on it's own schedule and if you try to make it follow yours, you're going to be disapointed and possibly end up with asploding bottles.

The higher the temperature, the faster it is going to ferment (generally speaking). Also, though, the faster it will drop out of solution-- shake up the beer a little. And when I say a little, I mean a little. I'd say rock your carboy/bucket 45 degrees maybe 3 or 4 times max. Doesn't take too long to get the yeast back in solution.

I've had a few batches stop early, and they all were solved by shaking the yeast back into solution. They also all stopped early during fermentation that was higher temp than I wanted.

Your beer is almost guaranteed not to be ruined, but I'd say you have 25% chance of getting done by your original bottling time. Rouse up the yeast, wait a few days (takes awhile to get going) and if after 3 or 4 days there's nothing, then repitch.

After repitching or rousing, in my opinion, it's always helpful (but not necessary) to cold crash prior to bottling/kegging since there's yeast floating around. I just throw it in my kegerator for a day. Not essential, but might help out a bit, if you have the setup.

Don't even need 45 degrees. Just move the neck in a circle an inch or two in diameter and you'll rouse quite a bit of yeast. No need to shake up the whole cake.

OK, makes sense to get the yeast to get the yeast going again. BTW It is Midwests Autumn Fall Ale and used Muntons Dry ale yeast. For sure, I'll wait extra time and not bottle until it a 3 day hydro reading show's it's done. Hopefully at the goal reading. If I do have to repitch, all I have in the fridge is Coopers Ale yeast. Would it hurt to use a different kind to try to get things going again? Thanks

There is really no reason to repitch any yeast UNLESS the original yeast never took off our if it petered out from trying to ferment a really high gravity beer (which is rare) rather OR you tried some of the other solutions first (like agitating gently the fermenter and re-rousing the yeast) or warming it up.

Arcanexor has a good blog on unsticking a stuck ferm http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/ArcaneXor/Fixing_a_stuck_fermentation_101/ and I added some stuff to it in the comments.

also If the beer is stopped at 1.020 for over three days, you could consider bottling, that is the top end of my safety range for bottling, and I have bottled a few finished at that and stayed that way for a month (since I leave my beer in primary for a month) and it turned out fine...

But try some of the suggestions here and in the blog..first...then maybe re pitch...but the thing is that if it is stuck because of lack of fermentables rather than yeast activity, then adding all the yeast in the world won't help if there is no more fermentables to eat up.

One more thing I did that may be playing into this situation, I put about a cup of sorghum syrup in the boil thinking it might give it more fermentable sugar's thus more alcohol. I wonder if this goofed me up. Anyway, I went ahead an pitched a pack of rehydrated coopers ale yeast this morning. Maybe in the morning when I check gravity, it will be on the move again. Also, say I reach my FG, should I wait a few more days before bottling to give this second batch of yeast time to settle out?

Back