Apfelwein ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
Now that my first batch is ready to bottle, I need some ideas for my second batch which will still retain the apple flavor, but give it a little compatible zest.

Now that my first batch is ready to bottle, I need some ideas for my second batch which will still retain the apple flavor, but give it a little compatible zest.

zest?

try adding a pound of habañero peppers to it...

guarranteed to be "zesty" (and provide a hellacious "ring of fire" later)

Maybe I should re-phrase the zest remark. Just looking for another way to do EdWort's apfelwein rather than the original recipe.

Add spices
Use less sugar
Use more sugar
Use different sugar
Backsweeten
Add citrus zest
Add fresh fruit
Add flavored extract
Use different yeast
Use a sour culture
Make a cyser

The list is nearly infinite, and there are plenty of examples on the forum. What, exactly, are you trying to achieve?

Try adding frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed or course, to increase the sugars, acids & flavour. Try adding some fresh sliced ginger. Try using juice from cider apples, if you can get any. Maybe try adding some herbs. Let us know what you eventually decide to do; who knows? It might be the next big thing. Regards, GF.

I used a wheat beer yeast (Wyeast 3068) and didn't use any extra sugar. I'm hoping that my approach will keep the brew from getting too dry and retain some apple flavour. I'll be bottle carbing using a can of concentrated AJ to bring back more sweetness if possible, although dextrose does have a way of creating a "cidery" taste.

I used a wheat beer yeast (Wyeast 3068) and didn't use any extra sugar. I'm hoping that my approach will keep the brew from getting too dry and retain some apple flavour. I'll be bottle carbing using a can of concentrated AJ to bring back more sweetness if possible, although dextrose does have a way of creating a "cidery" taste.
FWIW, I made a cyser using 3068. Technically, it is not really a cyser since meads, by definition, must contain 51% honey. But I have no problem calling this one a hard cider...too bad my name's not "DICKENS" ;)

Here are some highlights:

Brew date: 17 Jan 09

Contents:

5 gal AJ
2 lbs Corn Sugar
3 lbs Honey

OG 1.110

Yeast: Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan (Weizen) propagator (no starter)

25 Jan 09: 1.048

7 Feb 09: 1.024, beginning to clear some

25 Feb 09: 1.012 much more clearer than I expected for a weizen yeast. clear, but not crystal.

28 Feb 09: racked...and sampled...

16 Mar 09: 1.006 sample was very drinkable. nothing to add or subtract from flavor.

5 Apr 09: 1.004 nice appley flavor and sweet overall.

10 Apr 09: 1.002 I don't know how much lower this will go. honey and apple come throught very nicely.

I expected an attenuation of 75% (1.025), but this has gone way beyond that...right now it's at 98%...and still sweet.:D

I put some in a secondary with a chipotle pepper. It was one of those you love it or hate it things.

I'm not sure how the smokey flavor would be. I would consider adding some cayenne peppers to add a little heat without adding too much flavor. Sort of like dark chocolate with cayenne.

FWIW, I made a cyser using 3068. Technically, it is not really a cyser since meads, by definition, must contain 51% honey. But I have no problem calling this one a hard cider...too bad my name's not "DICKENS" ;)

Contents:

5 gal AJ
2 lbs Corn Sugar
3 lbs Honey

OG 1.110

25 Feb 09: 1.012 much more clearer than I expected for a weizen yeast. clear, but not crystal.

16 Mar 09: 1.006 sample was very drinkable. nothing to add or subtract from flavor.

10 Apr 09: 1.002 I don't know how much lower this will go. honey and apple come throught very nicely.

I expected an attenuation of 75% (1.025), but this has gone way beyond that...right now it's at 98%...and still sweet.:D

Wow! That's 14.2 ABV!!! The 3068 is only rated to 10% ABV according to Wyeast's pamphlet. Maybe you got a 3068 superstrain. :rockin:

I'm starting one tonight with 3068. I hope to do was well.

I'm thinking about doing an apfelwein with cinnamon for x-mas this year. Maybe add some lemon zest for summer? I'd like to add honey to a batch sometime

I use dark brown sugar for my sugar, and toss a couple cinnamon sticks in as well for my standard batch. While good fresh, it is simply awesome after 6 months.

My latest is using two pounds of turbinado instead of dextrose. I bottled my last one with apple juice concentrate instead of sugar to carbonate it, but haven't had a chance to try it yet (still aging!).

Contents:

5 gal AJ
2 lbs Corn Sugar
3 lbs Honey

OG 1.110

I'm excited to hear about yours results! I'd love to try this myself once the yeast becomes available in a couple weeks time. Right now I'm getting the ingredients together for a Hefeweizen that I'm going to pitch onto the weak little cider yeast cake. I'll wash it afterwards and hopefully have a few jars of 3068 in the fridge to experiment with. At what temperature did you ferment your cyser? I did my cider at 17*C (ambient room temperature) and I have some sort of strange peanut butter aroma/flavour going on... The only explanation I can come up with is temperature!

homebrewer_99,

Which AJ did you use in that recipe? Did you add any pectic enzyme or yeast nutrient? I'm amazed it fermented and cleared so quickly!

I'm going to have to try 3068 now on my next batch!

Well kinda hard if you bottle , but this last time on my 3 gallon corny , I added 2 cans of frozen cranberry juice concentrate. SWMBO and other chics liked it.

Back