Hard Lemonade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have olny seen one hard lemonade kit on the internet. And i did not have

strawberry in it. I am trying my own recipe right now based off the

description of contents i read from the kit.. I am using mild flavored grape

juice, fermenting that out. Then mixing 2 packets of cool aid lemonade and

lactose to taste. then i will prime bottles just like beer

??????

why not lemonade concentrate frozen bricks, and sweeten with the same?
add some strawberry concentrate if ya like that sorta thing.
why ya gotta use grape juice i wonder?

I tried that already. It doesnt taste like lemonade when its done. From

what ive read on the hard lemonade kits website this is what they do so Im

Just giving it a try

There are several recipes for hard lemonade on here, search around. One common ingredient is malt though. Seeing as pretty much all hard lemonades available commercially are malt beverages, this could be key to replicating those tastes.

Step1 Contents of Vinoka Hard Lemonade Kit Purchase a Vinoka Hard Lemonade kit. I get mine from HomeBrewHQ in Dallas (Homebrew Headquarters)
Step2Heat about 2 liters of water and put it in the carboy. Unlike beer brewing, there is no need for boiling in this process. You are just heating the water so that the packets added to the wort dissolve thoroughly.
Step3Add bentonite packet from the kit into the carboy and stir well.
Step4Add the bag of grape concentrate to the carboy. Fill the juice bag a couple times with water, shake, and empty into the carboy to get every drop of juice. Add 12 ounces of table sugar to the carboy and mix well.
Step5Fill the carboy with fresh room temperature water and shake well to mix thoroughly and aerate the wort. (The total volume of liquid in your carboy should be 5 Gallons).
Step6Extract about 1 cup of the mix from the carboy to read the specific gravity of the wort. Record this value as your Initial Specific Gravity. SG should be between 1.04 and 1.05. Add additional sugar as necessary to increase the SG.
Step7Sprinkle the yeast packet from the kit into the carboy. Then add an air lock to the carboy.
Step8Allow to ferment in a cool location (60-80 degrees Fahrenheit) for approximately 7-10 days. Specific gravity can be read every few days to determine the completion of the fermentation process. The final Specific Gravity will be < 1.000.
Step9Transfer the wine base into a clean carboy. Try not to disturb or transfer any of the sediment at the bottom of the carboy. Allow to sit for another 7-10 days.
Step10Secondary fermentation is complete when the SG reaches 0.996 or less. Again transfer the wine base into another clean/sanitized carboy. Keep one or two cups of wort aside to mix in the next ingredients.
Step11In one cup of wort, add the Potassium Metabisulfate and Potassium Sorbate packets. Stir very well to mix thoroughly. Then add this cup back to the carboy and stir vigorously for several minutes to mix well and release any trapped CO2.
Step12Add the Super-Kleer packets to the carboy and mix well. Let sit for 5 more days to clarify.
Step13Filter your wine base to make sure all yeast is removed.
Step14Transfer the wine base into another clean keg. While transferring the wine, add the bottle of Hard Lemonade Flavor and 36 ounces of table sugar. Shake constantly until all sugar is dissolved into the Lemonade. (see Tips section for changing the sweetness).
Step15Force carbonate the Hard Lemonade with 2.5 to 3.0 volumes of CO2.
Step16Chill, tap, and enjoy!

Well Mike's is vodka, lemonade, carbonated water, and malt flavoring, so we can try but its less of a brew and more of a mixer.

I've got one, but I have never tried it out. This came from this site, from "jesse"... don't know who that is but I saved the recipe just in case.

This was his OP on the subject

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Jesse's Hobo Jug Lemonade[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]5 lbs Table or Corn Sugar
1 lb Dry Malt Extract (to make it a malt beverage like Mike does)
6 12 oz Cans Lemonade frozen concentrate (make sure there's no preservatives)

any Ale yeast
-or-
English Cider Yeast (WLP775)

heat the sugar and malt in 2-1/2 gallons of water to 170 for 15 minutes. Cool and add the frozen concentrate and 3 gallons of water. Pitch yeast. I've never used yeast nutrient, but this recipe could probably stand to have some added for faster fermentation. It takes about two weeks or so to finish fermenting, then straight to bottles. I use soda bottles since that's what the pint bottles are with Mike's Hard Lemonade.

I've used baker's yeast for this recipe in the past when I was experimenting, and it'll work, but takes a loong time to ferment out. My latest batch uses SafAle 56 dry yeast.

Yes I realize it's alcoholic sugar water, but that's what I'm going for, isn't it?
[/FONT]

Can you bottle prime the Vinoka kits or is force carb mandatory?

Step11 In one cup of wort, add the Potassium Metabisulfate and Potassium Sorbate packets.

These chemicals kill the yeast and other microbes in the brew. She'll never ferment again cap'n :( So bottle carbing is out of the question. The only way to enjoy this from the bottle is to force carb it in a keg and use a beer gun to fill bottles.

Step11 In one cup of wort, add the Potassium Metabisulfate and Potassium Sorbate packets.

These chemicals kill the yeast and other microbes in the brew. She'll never ferment again cap'n :( So bottle carbing is out of the question. The only way to enjoy this from the bottle is to force carb it in a keg and use a beer gun to fill bottles.

that Vinoka stuff looked like chemical trash to me from the get go. Yooper has a great hard lemonade recipe. It's not the malt stuff but IMO it blows away mikes and or any commercial hard lemonade I have ever tasted.

I should start sending Yooper checks because she is money in the bank. :mug:

that Vinoka stuff looked like chemical trash to me from the get go. Yooper has a great hard lemonade recipe. It's not the malt stuff but IMO it blows away mikes and or any commercial hard lemonade I have ever tasted.

I should start sending Yooper checks because she is money in the bank. :mug:

Can you repost that for me please..and thanks.

Back