New Guinness draught bottle - widget free - SOS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaliBrewin

Reaction score
First off, i just wanted to express how much i LOVE my nitrogen injected Guinness draught.

HOWEVER, these new bottles they are using that are widget-less have killed me a little bit inside. i feel that the pours are always thin, there is always little to no head, very minimal cascading effect if any and ultimately i have found this to be a significantly less "creamier" experience.

i am deeply saddened that Guinness has gone this route with their draught bottles and find it confusing as to how they could let their product go off the shelf in this manner. it looks as if i can now only buy their nitro-pints assuming they havent removed the widget from those as well. otherwise ill only be getting proper pints from the english pub two cities over.

:(

is anyone else at least a little perterbed??

Yeah I saw it today at work and your right. The pour is different. The widget bottle pour had a little cascading and a whole lot of head. These widgetless ones have no head and no cascading. The taste is slightly different but most people wont see the difference.

Yeah I saw it today at work and your right. The pour is different. The widget bottle pour had a little cascading and a whole lot of head. These widgetless ones have no head and no cascading. The taste is slightly different but most people wont see the difference.

i fear that you are right. considering most peoples verbal concerns seem to be "wow, thats dark!"

ignorance is piss.

I had just recently bought the new brew Guinness Draught in bottles and what a disapointment. I have been drinking this for quite a while now. I guess for money and profits they had to make a change.
They removed the Widget in the bottle. In turn it has changed the pouring process into the glass it doesnt set up the same also the taste has changed.
I had written to Guinness in Dublin, Ireland and did receive a respose. There comment said that there was no change in the product and we should drink it directly from the bottle. "WRONG". This was made to be enjoyed from a GUINNESS PINT GLASS FROM DUBLIN IRELAND.
They also said the canned Guinness still has the widget in it and will taste the same as the bottle. I will give them the benefit of doubt and give it a try.
I don't really like my beer in a can.

I had just recently bought the new brew Guinness Draught in bottles and what a disapointment. I have been drinking this for quite a while now. I guess for money and profits they had to make a change.
They removed the Widget in the bottle. In turn it has changed the pouring process into the glass it doesnt set up the same also the taste has changed.
I had written to Guinness in Dublin, Ireland and did receive a respose. There comment said that there was no change in the product and we should drink it directly from the bottle. "WRONG". This was made to be enjoyed from a GUINNESS PINT GLASS FROM DUBLIN IRELAND.
They also said the canned Guinness still has the widget in it and will taste the same as the bottle. I will give them the benefit of doubt and give it a try.
I don't really like my beer in a can.

I don't understand why these company's lie about this stuff. They think they can produce a sub-par product in the name of increased profits, and that they're loyal customers will be none the wiser. Its rather insulting really that they think you'd believe that the bottled version without a widget is the same as the canned with the widget.

If this was truly done to decrease costs, its only a matter of time before the cans lose the widget as well.

I had a foreign extra stout the other day that did not have a widget in it but it had been so long since I had that particular beer of theirs I didnt remember if it ever had a widget in it or not. Regardless, the beer tasted great but I must say if the guinness drought no longer has a widget, the head on that beer is going to be all wrong. :(

I had a foreign extra stout the other day that did not have a widget in it but it had been so long since I had that particular beer of theirs I didnt remember if it ever had a widget in it or not. Regardless, the beer tasted great but I must say if the guinness drought no longer has a widget, the head on that beer is going to be all wrong. :(

Extra foreign stout is very different from draught....

[/QUOTE]

Awesome commercial!!! Even the wife loved it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back