My Fortune for One 5/8" Stainless Steel Fender Washer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size o-ring and what size washers did you use with the 1/2" nipple in your Rubbermaid MLT?

I used the original rubber seal and 3/8" fittings in my MLT, as per my MLT build (see my signature for the link).

For the HLT I used 3/4" washer (IIRC) from McMaster-Carr and an o-ring from my LHBS that was designed to fit a 1/2" nipple (sorry, I don't know the actual size).

FWIW, the 3/8" fittings work better in the mash tun because the seal is so strong and the fittings are so tight. Also, in a mash tun there isn't a great advantage to having 1/2" fittings because you don't need to drain it quickly (even for batch sparging). I do like the 1/2" fittings in my HLT, however, because I do want to move water out of it as quickly as possible, and I am never inside stirring (like I am with the MLT) so there is no risk of knocking the fittings loose. Just my $.02.

Thanks, FlyGuy. I used your instructions for my MLT a couple of months ago. It works great.

anyone take a 1/2" SS washer and drill it out to 5/8"?

Bought a few today. Figure I would see if it worked.
Seems like the washers are used to fill the gaps between the fittings.

anyone take a 1/2" SS washer and drill it out to 5/8"?

Bought a few today. Figure I would see if it worked.
Seems like the washers are used to fill the gaps between the fittings.

I'm sure you could do that. I get my washers from to places. Fastenal has 5/8" SS washers that are good quality and sturdy. These work well for putting a valve through straight or larger radius curved cooler walls, such as a rectangular or 10 gallon beverage cooler, respectively. On a smaller radius curved beverage cooler, such as a 5 gallon size, I used the 5/8" SS washers from Ace Hardware. The Ace Hardware 5/8" SS washers are thinner. I use two where I would have used one of the Fastenal ones. The benefit is that the thinner washers will bend to fit the tighter curve of the 5 gallon beverage coolers.

These SS washers serve 3 purposes
  1. Ensures that the wort does not contact corrosive metal
  2. Provides a secure bulkhead so that the vavle-nipple-barb assembly does not wiggle all around when you operate the valve
  3. Fills out the gaps between the fittings, which really just makes up for the nipple being a little longer then needed

Hope this helps! Brew on:rockin:

Wow, I'm really appreciating all the great word of mouth for Fastenal, my employer. Too bad none of you live near me or else I would've really hooked you up. We break packs and I probably would've floated you a discount. You can always place orders online and pick them up at your local store. If you live in or near a decent sized city, there should be a local store.

I'd never heard of it either, and after a week of searching for these damn washers I found a fastenal 5 blocks from my house. I just went and a bought a 10 pack of them.

Just a quick note for all of you out there. I made another one of these today but like many of you had issues with finding the washers. I ended up changing to a 1/4" ball valve which let me drop down to 1/2 inch washers instead of the 5/8. I'm thinking this probably won't affect my drain speed as the inside is the same diameter as the 3/8" barb coming off the end, it's just putting the choke point a little farther back in the line. Will report tomorrow after making my Hobgoblin clone.

I have 5/8 stainless washer if you need them. Just let me know if you would like some and I will sell them to you for $1.00 each.

If you have an Ace Hardware close, they too have specialty fasteners/parts in drawers and should have SS fender washers. Our local Menards has the same set of specialty drawers as well and that is where I found mine locally. Brass would be the next best alternative doing the 15 min soak in 2/1 ratio of vinegar to peroxide to wash away the *tiny* amount of surface lead

This is what I did in that case.
First I got out of my stuck on stupid box.
What else can I use.
Stepped back looked at what I was working with, A plastic cooler.
Went home drilled a 5/8 hole in a old 5gl bucket and cut&trimmed my washer around that hole.

80% of the five gallon buckets are no2 food grade. Paint, cat litter, laundry soap, on&on, before I forget plastic milk, juice, gatoraid caps also.

My brother used a drill press to widen a .5 in to 5/8. Kinda a pita but if you've got the tools it could save you some trouble. Also the large rubber rings on plastic bottle bucket spigots work great to tighten up the inner seal on a cooler style tun.

My brother used a drill press to widen a .5 in to 5/8. Kinda a pita but if you've got the tools it could save you some trouble. Also the large rubber rings on plastic bottle bucket spigots work great to tighten up the inner seal on a cooler style tun.
I looked into using a 1/2 and drilling it to 5/8th.
Except the cost of a 5/8ths drill bit is around $30 at all the local stores. The 1/2 is only ten bucks.

This may have been mentioned before in this thread but I'm too lazy to look. I got my 5/8" SS washers from Home Depot. They have a product near the hardware called "Create-a-Bolt". All it is some washers and nuts that you pair with threaded rod that they sell. They have a package of SS 5/8" nuts and washers that you can buy and it's less than $5. Probably your best bet considering Home Depot is everywhere.

This may have been mentioned before in this thread but I'm too lazy to look. I got my 5/8" SS washers from Home Depot. They have a product near the hardware called "Create-a-Bolt". All it is some washers and nuts that you pair with threaded rod that they sell. They have a package of SS 5/8" nuts and washers that you can buy and it's less than $5. Probably your best bet considering Home Depot is everywhere.
Its been mentioned.

but they are hit or miss for availability.

Its been mentioned.

but they are hit or miss for availability.

Yes that's the point, not every hardware store, big box or independent carries these things. It appears to be a regional thing. You may find it at "your " Lowe's or HD, but I couldn't find any at any store in my city, until I was sent to fastenal but the helpful manager of a big box hardware store. If it were so easy, this thread, nor about 1/3 of the Flyguy thread (lamenting the difficulty of finding them) would exist.....

Yes that's the point, not every hardware store, big box or independent carries these things. It appears to be a regional thing. You may find it at "your " Lowe's or HD, but I couldn't find any at any store in my city, until I was sent to fastenal but the helpful manager of a big box hardware store. If it were so easy, this thread, nor about 1/3 of the Flyguy thread (lamenting the difficulty of finding them) would exist.....

Didn't mean to rub anybody the wrong way, was just trying to offer another option if they hadn't considered this yet. Apologies if I did.

?

I am confused. Is that directed to me?

I realize they are not at every HD or lowes. That Is why I said it was hit or miss.

I looked this up at Home Depot and they were listed as zinc plated, not stainless steel.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I cannot find a 5/8" stainless or non stainless fender washer or regular washer anywhere. No one carries them in my area. Home depot, lowes, ace hardware, all marine shops, auto shops, not a one of them. Super frustrated and I need one by saturday to do my first all grain brew. Anyone have one they want to sell?

And fastenall said they could order it but it's a case of 20 for $43.85

i eventually found them at homedepot, in a "build-a-bolt" bubble package. 4 stainless 5/8 nuts, 4 fender washers, and 4 lock washers. Was about 8 bucks for the pack. I asked home depot and they said they didn't carry them... the guy just didn't realize they were available in a "pre packaged kit"

And a light shown down from the heavens unto a shack of a hardware store in Ocean City, MD and the beer gods said hear ye, ye shall find your 5/8" SS Fender Washers to complete your quest and venture where ordinary men become gods.

I traveled about 15 min from my place of income to this lonely shack and asked of the man for these washers. He presented them to me like gifts of golden honey mead and I did take and partake of them. Now the next evening to come I will venture into the world of All Grain brewing and stand as a pillar amongst the toughest opponent. If knocked down I will rise again till I complete my quest to fill the holy grail with the beer of the gods.

Native Chapter 1 vs 1-2

I was having trouble finding a 5/8" stainless washer too so I tried a 16mm stainless washer from the metric section at lowes and it worked perfect.

I just ordered some stainless steel parts for my MLT from fastenal's website without an account or anything. Shipping was cheaper than most brew websites which is why I went that route.

I am going to do this project but I think I may try the Nylon washer. Not sure which one to get, so I will just try to dry fit it in the store.

I got my SS washers at Ace. They didn't have any standard sized ones and I had to go with metric. This actually gave me a better fit for the set up I've got. Unfortunately they were .99¢ each. I ended up snagging a few in case I ran into leaking issues and needed more pressure for the seal.

I got mine from fastenal ...I used 5 from my package and welded them to my keggle top ...instant lid

But can the OUTSIDE washers be Zinc? The only required stainless washer is what is on the inside w/the wort, correct? I can only assume that as long as the seal around the nipple is good, then the outside washers never touch moisture (aside from possible condensation). Thanks for the help!

Matt

Back