from brew pot to primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingwmelon

Reaction score
So I have seen that people use a siphon to get out of the brew pot and into the primary. I was told to just pour the pot into primary to help with aeration. I did notice that my first bottling had little floaters of hops in the bottles so I guess that I did something wrong. Live and learn. So my question is is there a correct way or just a preferred way?

Most people use a siphon, so the hops and other junk gets left behind. If you do use a funnel, you can get big ones with screens in them- though this really slows things down because the filter gets clogged.

In 20 years of brewing, I found siphoning to be quickest and cleanest. Do you have a racking cane?

We pour the wort through a stainless steel strainer held above the fermenting bucket. It keeps the biggest chunks out and does a great job aerating the wort. It's a good compromise between racking and just dumping everything into the fermentor.

I used to jump dump everything into the primary but have resorted as of late to using a strainer. Besides, it gave me an excuse to buy something else... :)

I just dumped everything into the primary and will be using a secondary to clear it up. However, I haven't bottled it yet so after this I may try siphoning/straining the wort.

I just dump it all in th ecarboy. Someday I'll try siphoning or filtering. I tried using the screen that came with my funnel once, but it clogged almost immediately.

do yourself a favor, get online and purchase a cheap stainless steel weldless fitting, valve, and screen. Easy to install and it will make your life easier when transferring from b.v. to primary.

We pour the wort through a stainless steel strainer held above the fermenting bucket. It keeps the biggest chunks out and does a great job aerating the wort. It's a good compromise between racking and just dumping everything into the fermentor.

I've done this and siphoned, but on my last brew I put paint strainer under the strainer just see what it caught that the metal strainer didn't. Holy mass of trub and hops. It caught more than the metal one did. Not sure what that really means as all the beer seemed to turn out fine.

I use a strainer and just pour it through most of the time. Although, in most cases you can just pour the whole thing in the primary. Most of the trub will settle to the bottom during fermentation anyways. Then, when you rack your beer, it will be left behind.

I just dump everything in (unless using a carboy). I've been told that there are some great yeast nutrients in that trub.

I think this depends on how long you let sit in primary. Yes, primary. I'm dont consider secondary as I dont use it, so take what I say as you will.

But according to some very experienced brewers on this site, our yeast friends will, for the most part, clean up their own messes....meaning they go back and basically chew up their own by products thus making our precious beer that much clearer.

My advice: Use Irish Moss or Whirifloc (sp) and let sit in primary for a month.
I just drank the first pint of IIPA that I used Irish Moss and let sit for a month, and man let me tell ya, shes a beauty!

I just realized I havent answered your ?.....preferred method! Whatever works for you. Its YOUR beer.

Back