buying online

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies. I'm a Minnesota native so I gotta support MN!

I use northern brewer. I have not compared prices with other online suppliers but so far I'm very satisfied with everything I have bought from them. I bought the deluxe starter kit from them and when it arrived my six gal carboy was broken I called them the next day and they sent me a new one right away no questions asked and upgraded the shipping to second day air. So +1 on customer service. I'm sure others have different opinions but as I said I've been very satisfied with everything I've gotten from them. I'm pretty new to brewing myself I have done three extract kits from them and both (the third is still fermenting ) have turned out really well. Just make sure to get John Palmers book How
To Brew the instructions that come with there kits are kinda weak. Anyway that being said you don't have to shop at just one place and there is also your LHBS I'm going to start checking out other places as well both online and off although I do feel loyal to NB for the way they handled my broken carboy issue....(it was my first time ever ordering brewing equip and my first brew ever so I was very disappointed )

I'm new to homebrewing and purchased alot of my equipment from Morebeer.com.

They have very competitive prices plus if you spend $59 your shipping is free.

I will say that shipping is slow to the eastern part of the US where I am at but for free its hard to complain. If you can wait a week and half or so it is worth it.

In no particular order... midwest, austin, brewmaster's, hop shack, norhtern brewer and another I can't remember. All have been good.

Never discount your LHBS. I bypassed mine to use Midwest, Northern Brewer, Austin, BMW. Williams and Adventures when I started out. Once I walked into my LHBS and actually bought from them, my efficiency jumped from 59% to 76%, And my cost went down by 30%. All of my online experiences were good.

I have used Northern Brewer mostly and they the have arrived fast and well packed. I also have used bellsbeer.com for my 2L flask, extra stirbars , airlocks and some other small equipment, was cheap and very fast to midwest.

Have to put my 2 cents in for Midwest. Great customer service and excellent directions.

I very much agree that it's always good to patronize any worthy LHBS if they are available.

I've compared prices online (MidWest) to my two LHBSs, and the local stores are so much more expensive (like 25 - 50 % more).

Also, after learning more about brewing from this forum, I'm left wondering about the LHBS I bought my first kit from... only 2 oz of hops in an IPA? Isn't that low even for an english style IPA? And $45 for that kit as well, with dry yeast.

Ive used Norther Brewer and Austin Homebrew Supply. Both have been super easy to work with and very knowledgable. Make sure when comparing prices to add shipping to your location into the finished cost.

I went to my LHBS this morning to look for a 5 gallon brew pot. To my surprise I was told they didn't have any. Anyone in the Ithaca NY area they their supplies locally? I would love to buy local if possible.

Kind of an vague and open question... kinda like asking an eskimo where they get their ice.

I've bought from so many different places, Ive lost track. I have yet to have a bad buying experience with anybody.

Gary

As a small space extract brewer ive tried them all. In the end it comes down to price and quality of the kits i buy. Nothing has come close to Moorbeer.com on my end.

I use midwest, northern brewer, and freshhops for most of my ingredients and supplies. The things that I will buy no where else other than the LHBS is yeast and anything glass such as carboys. I do usually pick up odds and ends while im there.

One of the Northern Brewer stores is local to me, so most of what I need I just pick up when I'm there. However, I have ordered from Austin, Midwest, Adventures in Homebrewing, and Farmhouse at various times and for a wide range of products. In fact, I did a lot of online shopping on Black Friday/Cyber Monday and during the weeks leading up to Christmas. I have had nothing but good experiences with all of them, and after my customer service experience with Midwest today they are definitely top of the list whenever I want to order something online.

I used to use Northern Brewer, however their prices are not near as competitive since they got rid of flat rate shipping. So I have switched my buying to Midwest or More Beer. I dont have a local homebrew shop, however I generally support Local if they are close to price competitive

I get most of my stuff from RiteBrew.com. Great prices, customer service and super fast shipping. Selection is a lacking compared to NB but they have about 95% of the stuff that I'm looking for the other items I cant find there I just get from my LHBS.

I placed an order before 1PM CST and got my order the following day (Mid Wisconsin to Chicago). Had 1 out of 3 containers of LME burst open sent them an email and they sent me 2 replacements. They have some good recipe kits a couple under $20 with dry yeast!

Gotta prost BrewMastersWarehouse and MoreBeer. I do dig the fact that you can post a recipe to BrewMastersWarehouse and buy exactly (almost) what you need, rather than weighing everything out yourself. And MoreBeer is local, so... its my favorite online LHBS

I stopped brewing five years ago and just had most (no glass carboys or corny kegs) shipped to California. So i've been slowly expanding again.

I have Amazon Prime so I'm pretty spoiled on ship times and I'm a tinkerer so I toy around with various tools I pick up from there. Never real ingredients, just tools and such.

My LHBS in Los Angeles isn't as "cheap" as online but when you factor in wait times and shipping costs, i'd rather drive the 30 minutes, spend a tiny bit more coin and have it right now. Their ingredients are awesome too.

Oh and lowes/home depot/local hardware store for random stuff because nothing is ever really good enough or finished. I use lowes.com pick up in store feature because it's near my work and I hate how big it is. I'll let them do the shopping for me so I don't spend my lunch break wandering a nightmare.

I just bought a lot of stuff from Midwest supplies. They are well priced and everything shipped quickly. Also great descriptions and photos for all of their supplies.

A lot of different places for the general stuff: Northern, Midwest, Austin, Rebel, Williams, Adventures, Brewmasters, Brew and Grow, MoreBeer, etc.

A handful of "speciality" places for things like kegging supplies, hardware, hops, grain, and dry malt extract.

Much of my stuff, especially little things like yeast, come from my local home brew shop. The prices may be higher locally, but you get the supplies right away, get questions answered face to face, and support the local economy.

Check out the sticky for links to many websites

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/homebrew-supply-websites-701/

+1 on Rite Brew. They are cheaper than anywhere else I have found. They are semi local to me, but you can't beat the one day shipping.

Are there any places to buy online that are located in the northeast? I am in NY and shipping is either high or takes forever to get here.

Back