I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. I have been watching a lot of Norm Abrams on youtube.

Ha. I was up till three in the morning watching japanese youtube master crafters build a festival shrine. So much detail. So much skill. So many steps. Absolute perfection in hand cut joinery, carvings, and finishes. And so phreaking gaudy ugly.

I really gotta get offa me arse and get my garage shop in order. So many projects, so little time and energy.

Having a shop set up properly is key. I don't and everything seems to take 10x longer than it should.

Ha. I was up till three in the morning watching japanese youtube master crafters build a festival shrine. So much detail. So much skill. So many steps. Absolute perfection in hand cut joinery, carvings, and finishes. And so phreaking gaudy ugly.

I have watched some Japanese woodworking shows. I was very impressed with the handcrafting skills.

Having a shop set up properly is key. I don't and everything seems to take 10x longer than it should.

I have watched some Japanese woodworking shows. I was very impressed with the handcrafting skills.

Have a proper bandsaw sitting in my shed waiting for me to make a space for it. Wonderful machine, I have yet to plug in since owning it.

Also want longer rails on my ts so I can mount a router/shaper table to one end.

Have a beautiful leigh jig with all but the isoloc templates, have yet to.set a router on it.

Not for lack of want. Just no time to devote to projects of passion.

Im not too keen on the ultra simplicity of most japanese designs, but I love the philosophy, the tools, and the craftmanship.

Have a proper bandsaw sitting in my shed waiting for me to make a space for it. Wonderful machine, I have yet to plug in since owning it.

Also want longer rails on my ts so I can mount a router/shaper table to one end.

Have a beautiful leigh jig with all but the isoloc templates, have yet to.set a router on it.

Not for lack of want. Just no time to devote to projects of passion.

Im not too keen on the ultra simplicity of most japanese designs, but I love the philosophy, the tools, and the craftmanship.

Lucky! A nice bandsaw and dovetail jig are on my list. I know what you mean about the lack of time. I have all kinds of projects that I have put off for years now. I even have lumber for a lot of them. I only got back in the shop for necessity this time. It was a lot of work just finding things, and getting the place back in some sort of order (at my dad's garage - he likes to pile stuff all over the equipment). I hope I can find time to stick with it. It is a very enjoyable hobby.

Lucky! A nice bandsaw and dovetail jig are on my list. I know what you mean about the lack of time. I have all kinds of projects that I have put off for years now. I even have lumber for a lot of them. I only got back in the shop for necessity this time. It was a lot of work just finding things, and getting the place back in some sort of order (at my dad's garage - he likes to pile stuff all over the equipment). I hope I can find time to stick with it. It is a very enjoyable hobby.

I was lucky, very lucky. Came by a nearly new Rikon with ~14" resaw depth and a HF dust collector for $500. Also bought the Leigh jig with templates used for a couple hundred. Dude still had all the boxes, bags, etc that the jig came in. He said he used it for one project and then it sat for years.

I want to make a series of projects using only pine but with as high level a craftsmanship as I can muster.

Hey Late Nighters!

I took a couple of days off of work to attend my niece's graduation from University of North Texas. I am sitting in Paradise Texas. I think the name must be tongue in cheek...

No offense Texans, but every time I come to Texas, I want to grab a Texan and ask "What's the big Effing deal?". ;)

Hey Late Nighters!

I took a couple of days off of work to attend my niece's graduation from University of North. I am sitting in Paradise Texas. I think the name must be tongue in cheek...

No offense Texans, but every time I come to Texas, I want to grab a Texan and ask "What's the big Effing deal?". ;)

You're in the wrong part of Texas.

North Texas is basically just South Oklahoma, and that right there should tell you everything you need to know. ;)

I was lucky, very lucky. Came by a nearly new Rikon with ~14" resaw depth and a HF dust collector for $500. Also bought the Leigh jig with templates used for a couple hundred. Dude still had all the boxes, bags, etc that the jig came in. He said he used it for one project and then it sat for years.

I want to make a series of projects using only pine but with as high level a craftsmanship as I can muster.

Nice find. I never noticed Rikon tools before. I searched it up and it looks like good stuff. 14" resaw is nice.

I salvaged many thousands of board feet of western red cedar. We replaced the lighting on the football field at my old high school. We took down (7) 50' poles 24-32" diameter on the bottom. I had a local guy saw it up after my dad removed all the nails and such that he could find with a metal detector. The lumber is beautiful although there are a few random holes from mounting hardware and lags. I would love a bandsaw/jig/feeder to resaw some of that into lap siding.

I really like pine of all varieties. I bet you will make some nice stuff. Get on it and post the results:mug:

I also need a good drill press and a jointer. I can get by without either but they sure would be nice.

I also need a good drill press and a jointer. I can get by without either but they sure would be nice.

Love my drill press. Amazing how many things you find to perforate once you have a proper drill press. Haven't had much use for my jointer or planer. Hope to change that soon.

Since you looked up Rikon, the one I bought is the 14" deluxe. Blue model. The light is useless.

Appears I made an error, resaw is 13". Not 14".

Help, I'm going crazy trying to think of a word that means the person who is in your same position or level on the opposite team. For example, if you were a first baseman, what is a word for the other teams first baseman? Something like your equal, your equivalent. But more precise to mean opponent or rival. Any idea?

Help, I'm going crazy trying to think of a word that means the person who is in your same position or level on the opposite team. For example, if you were a first baseman, what is a word for the other teams first baseman? Something like your equal, your equivalent. But more precise to mean opponent or rival. Any idea?

Adversary?

I salvaged many thousands of board feet of western red cedar. We replaced the lighting on the football field at my old high school. We took down (7) 50' poles 24-32" diameter on the bottom. I had a local guy saw it up after my dad removed all the nails and such that he could find with a metal detector. The lumber is beautiful although there are a few random holes from mounting hardware and lags. I would love a bandsaw/jig/feeder to resaw some of that into lap siding.

Nice. I got the bandsaw mostly so I could cut log sections for the lathe.

I love exotic hardwoods but damn if they aren't cost prohibitive. Red Oak is abundant in local big box but boring, IMO.

I know Pine isn't going to blow anyone away with it's figure but it's cheap, easy to source, and cheap. Did I say cheap?

Nice. I got the bandsaw mostly so I could cut log sections for the lathe.

I love exotic hardwoods but damn if they aren't cost prohibitive. Red Oak is abundant in local big box but boring, IMO.

I know Pine isn't going to blow anyone away with it's figure but it's cheap, easy to source, and cheap. Did I say cheap?

Yes! I could also have fun playing with a lathe. My shop is pretty basic.

I am quite tired of oak myself. Ash is similar and I got some white ash locally. I got about 600ft of local beautiful clear maple from my friend the lumber grader. Exotic woods can be spectacular but I feel good about repurposing or using local woods.

There is some really nice pine out there. If you want to spend a few bucks, old reclaimed pine heart can be beautiful. $8 a square foot for flooring. I took a bunch out of my grandma's house that I plan to reuse somewhere.

Yes! I could also have fun playing with a lathe. My shop is pretty basic.

I am quite tired of oak myself. Ash is similar and I got some white ash locally. I got about 600ft of local beautiful clear maple from my friend the lumber grader. Exotic woods can be spectacular but I feel good about repurposing or using local woods.

There is some really nice pine out there. If you want to spend a few bucks, old reclaimed pine heart can be beautiful. $8 a square foot for flooring. I took a bunch out of my grandma's house that I plan to reuse somewhere.

A lathe is fun. My irony is that I am not real fond of turned pieces. I got the lathe because wooden bowls get the wife soggy for some reason and I aim to keep the waters flowing. But, lathes also do make easy work of table legs and some turned pieces are justifiable.

I'd love to cross a treasure trove of reclaimed wood. But then I'd have to find a way to store it. :D

My challenge will be to find ways to do as much as I can with as common a material as I can get. I see good materials thrown out to curb on a daily basis. Mostly 2x4 pine tho. I did managed to reclaim some near perfect cedar 6x10 posts. Have a few ideas of what to make of those. I want to make a couple light fixtures to replace some dated ones we have.

My son has also requested I make him a tallow bow, in the Roy Underhill style, but wants them to be the size of a shoebox. A bit of this 6x10 will be perfect for a few of those. he wants to store his pokemon collection in them.

I have a mini lathe, mostly for turning pens. I've turned a few small bowls, and with the add-on bed extension, can turn baseball bats, table legs, etc.

Pens interest me. More a curious fancy tho. Not sure they interest me enough to justify the expense of getting all the bits and bobs to turn them. And further, I am fairly certain most of those I would choose to gift a pen to are too shallow to appreciate what went into making it. "Oh, a, pen. How, um, nice."

I bought my lathe with sole intent to turn bowls for my wife. 16" swing over bed and the head can be rotated for larger outboard turning. Biggest bowl I have read about being turned on this model lathe was 36". Heard of a platter turned that was 48".

My wife would go nympho on me if I gave her a 48" platter. Alas, my skill is not there. Yet.

Secondary to that, I get to learn turning.

Im pretty much in awe reading these woodworking posts. Right now my workshop is just a memory; never had super cool stuff like a bandsaw or lathe. I supposse what i miss most though, is my shop. It had limited capability but i believe I maxed its potential (or something like that) Innovation and imagination plus a side of halfway knowing what im doing has always wored out fairly well for me. Mot perfect, for sure.

Cheers!

Im pretty much in awe reading these woodworking posts. Right now my workshop is just a memory; never had super cool stuff like a bandsaw or lathe. I supposse what i miss most though, is my shop. It had limited capability but i believe I maxed its potential (or something like that) Innovation and imagination plus a side of halfway knowing what im doing has always wored out fairly well for me. Mot perfect, for sure.

Cheers!

My irony, Dan, is that despite having numerous power tools at hand I mostly covet the higher end japanese hand tools.

I hope to tackle making myself a few wood planes. Still struggling with whereto find the blades and chip breakers. Spensif'.

Bah! All this rain has me buggered! We've needed it, and I am glad to have it, but dang if this isn't becoming a bit too much. We've already beaten previous record rainfall totals.

Can't do the yard work cause the lawn is always soggy, can't set-up shop because with each wave there is a risk of severe weather and the shop doubles as a garage. Can't finish up details in the house cause I need the shop. Bah!

Bah! All this rain has me buggered! We've needed it, and I am glad to have it, but dang if this isn't becoming a bit too much. We've already beaten previous record rainfall totals.

Can't do the yard work cause the lawn is always soggy, can't set-up shop because with each wave there is a risk of severe weather and the shop doubles as a garage. Can't finish up details in the house cause I need the shop. Bah!

Same here. It has been an exceptionally rainy spring here, which has in part been a huge blessing.

On the other hand, t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶r̶a̶s̶s̶ ̶ my weeds are about 3 feet high, and I haven't been able to mow due to raining literally every single day and the g̶r̶a̶s̶s̶ weeds never drying out. Just waiting on the code enforcement guy to come cite me now.

Ok rain, it's been great, now fvcking quit it already.

Same here. It has been an exceptionally rainy spring here, which has in part been a huge blessing.

On the other hand, t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶r̶a̶s̶s̶ ̶ my weeds are about 3 feet high, and I haven't been able to mow due to raining literally every single day and the g̶r̶a̶s̶s̶ weeds never drying out. Just waiting on the code enforcement guy to come cite me now.

Ok rain, it's been great, now fvcking quit it already.

Sounds like it's time for a run through the yard with the weed whacker.

That still works if it's all wet out there.

Getting the pool ready for the weekend. Happy Memorial Day!!

2015-05-22.jpg

We could use some rain, my kids would love a pool, and I wish my old a$$hole neighbors would just stay in Florida. I wasn't here but they bitched at my kids for shooting airsoft guns "towards" their yard today. This coming from a 70 some year old lunatic that was shooting a .22 at rabbits in his garden with downrange being my yard with kids running around. He also shot out one of my windows with a pellet gun shooting at starlings. Never offered to pay for it even though I brought it to his attention immediately. I made the cops and DNR (rabbit poaching) aware of him and haven't seen him with a gun since. Better stay that way or I am going to upgrade the kids to rocket and grenade launchers and paint a target on his house. Phew, *deep breath*, that feels better.

Hope you all have a nice weekend. We have a birthday party for my youngest and maybe a canoe trip on Monday. Tonight, I am going to drink a few too many beers.

I meant to post the finished soap cabinet (it is now in a nice craft shop and hopefully will pay for itself soon) for my woodworking friends:

thumb2_img_20150517_150758_442-65609.jpg

Back