Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I was at the bottle shop the other day one of the guys who worked there was telling me about a new IPA that is coming out. Apparently according to him it is going to be a limited quantity release though it is going to be a year around beer. The kicker that makes it so amazing is that the company has "figured out how to really extract the hoppiness out of the hops and it takes a long time".

While I was at the bottle shop the other day one of the guys who worked there was telling me about a new IPA that is coming out. Apparently according to him it is going to be a limited quantity release though it is going to be a year around beer. The kicker that makes it so amazing is that the company has "figured out how to really extract the hoppiness out of the hops and it takes a long time".

This is the result of names like 60 Minute IPA or All Day IPA. Blame the breweries. So in a way, he's right. It takes longer to extract more bitterness?

funny thing overheard about beer:

apparently, it's indistinguishable from Red Bull

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2015/0...les-red-bull-in-name-logo-lawsuit-111329.html

Its like Monster going after VT brewery Rock Art for the barleywine they make called Vermonster. The owner of the brewery took the suit to the press and a ton of VT stores started threatening to pull their product. It got national media attention for a few weeks. Monster "settled" by agreeing they could "have" the name if they promised not to go into the energy drink market.

Its like Monster going after VT brewery Rock Art for the barleywine they make called Vermonster. The owner of the brewery took the suit to the press and a ton of VT stores started threatening to pull their product. It got national media attention for a few weeks. Monster "settled" by agreeing they could "have" the name if they promised not to go into the energy drink market.

which Old Ox has promised, from the beginning. But Red Bull has claimed rights to non-alcoholic beverages, parts of the color spectrum and all things bovine

Wow, that's pretty *****ey. Let's all get the word out about this on social media (Facebook it, Twitter it, whatever) and see if we can't pressure this bully to back off.

#redbully

and THANK YOU!

on behalf of those of us who enjoy Old Ox, we appreciate it

not only do they make great beer, they're doing a lot for the community. Just this past weekend, they hosted a Dog Rescue event, Pups in the Pub.

& Chris is kind enough to open his tasting room on his day off to allow our local brewclub to have meetings there. Once in a while, we get to sample new offerings before they're available to the public.

I once joked with him that breweries make beer, not money, but to have to spend hard earned revenue on lawsuits like this is just REDBULLSH*T

They don't have to win. They only have to stay lawyered up and outspend Old Ox. The longer the better for RedBullsh*t. I agree with @kombat, hashtag redbully could gain a lot of traction and get them to settle.

I was at a bar in Las Vegas last year (Hogs and Heifers Saloon) where a couple was deciding what to order (they happen to be standing next to me). The wife eyes Samuel Adams original on the counter and asks her man-friend what that tastes like, and he says "Oh, that's sour like Sierra Nevada, you won't like it..."

67079d1412264758t-me-dumbfounded.jpg

I usually tend to side with the plaintiff on these cases (most Americans don't understand copyright/trademark law) but this is a bunch of BULL :fro: :ban: :mad:

I love the Red Bull product, but this situation makes me want to go back to coke.

Cola......

OMG. If I was a corporate executive for Red Bull I would fire the lawyer behind this and issue the brewery an apology. It makes as much sense as Fruit of the Loom suing a local grocery for running a newspaper advertisement for grapes on sale for 50% off.

OMG. If I was a corporate executive for Red Bull I would fire the lawyer behind this and issue the brewery an apology. It makes as much sense as Fruit of the Loom suing a local grocery for running a newspaper advertisement for grapes on sale for 50% off.

It is probably a Law firm that was hired to protect Red Bulls "intellectual material". 90% of the time the firms do not communicate with the executives.

There was a situation where Ford's firm attacked a fan site and attempted to shut it down because users uploaded images of fords wiring diagrams. The whole thing ended with the web address getting changed.

The absurdity of Red Bull's contention made me wonder what's really behind it.
Apparently Red Bull has done this before.

In 2013, Red Bull sued another brewery, the Redwell Brewery in Norfolk, England for exactly the same thing.
I appears Red Bull's contention there was over the "Red" in Redwell. Now they are doing the same with Old Ox. Looking at the two cases it seems all but certain that the main reason Red Bull does this is for publicity, and possibly an attempt to extort cash settlements.
In the case of Redwell, they "reached a settlement permitting Redwell to continue using its name". It's own name.

Interestingly I see that the that the company that makes Pabst, Schlitz, Old Milwaukee, Colt 45, St Ides, Strohs, Old Style, Lone Star, Olympia, and a number of other beers HAS A BEER CALLED "RED BULL".

ImageHandler.ashx

SO ... why isn't Red Bull trying to bully that producer: Pabst Brewers et al? ... because Red Bull would get their blocks knocked off, and might actually lose their own trademark ... that's why.

There is nothing redeeming about this frivolous lawsuit, but I hope that Old Ox "butters that roll" their name recognition might be on incidental to the lawsuit.

I can't exactly call it a silver lining, as it does run the risk of sinking the ship, but with a coordinated publicity campaign centering around the issue, hopefully there may be some hay to be made for Old Ox.

I've uploaded Ford wiring diagrams & such myself. Being 2nd generation ford-uaw let'em try & mess with me. I've messed with'em before.

I have a weed free lawn. I have patented 'weed' , 'free' , and 'lawn.' Freedom is no longer free -- pay up boys and girls. Oxy free for equipment cleaning - not until I get paid ! All you stoners ... a buck to me every time you smoke weed. And don't even think about mowing your lawn - we will be issuing permits for that.

I've uploaded Ford wiring diagrams & such myself. Being 2nd generation ford-uaw let'em try & mess with me. I've messed with'em before.

God forbid you know where a wire runs through your car without buying a $150 repair manual that usually does a horrible job of explaining anything.

My father, a WW2 vet, told me that beer in the U.S.A. began to take on the light and bland character it has today as a result of WW2. According to him, after WW2 a large number of their customers didn't return from the war. The BMC breweries wanted to get women buying and consuming more beer. They found that by making it lighter and less flavorful they could have more success marketing to women.

Interestingly a friend of mine has a college project for a small brewery where they are supposed to come up with ideas on how to market to more women. The idea being that the "lime-a-rita" and LITE beer isn't doing it. They want to get more women drinking craft beer.

Interestingly a friend of mine has a college project for a small brewery where they are supposed to come up with ideas on how to market to more women. The idea being that the "lime-a-rita" and LITE beer isn't doing it. They want to get more women drinking craft beer.

Neat notion. My wife's favorite styles are barleywines, tripels, old ale, and she has a soft spot for Sam Adams's Old Fezziwig.

If you want to get more women drinking craft beer, you need to cut the calories while emphasizing the health benefits of beer.

I'm thinking a nice 3% ABV craft that could double as a lawnmower beer. Make it so you can sell a 6-pack for $5.99 while making a profit and you'll be golden. I can't tell you how many women I've seen drinking the heck out of what-ever that 90 calorie beer was years ago simply because it was only 90 calories. That mark would be easy to hit with a 3% ale.

My region manager told me that coffee is an art just like how you "roast the hops for beer". I can only imagine my face as I tried to not react and keep telling him to give me a raise.

Heck, I can't stop.

About that low calorie beer...You could market it as some long standing secret from history. In the middle ages everyone drank small beer. Women had the best figures in history (don't mention the famine and hunger stuff) was it a coincidence? No, the health benefits of a beer or two a day has been well documented....blah blah (show some science images) blah blah, NOW this historical secret is available to all with the added assurance of modern brewing techniques. Drink Small Beer, for a smaller waist, improved health, and smarter way to drink responsibly.

How does that sound?

If you want to get more women drinking craft beer, you need to cut the calories while emphasizing the health benefits of beer.

I'm thinking a nice 3% ABV craft that could double as a lawnmower beer. Make it so you can sell a 6-pack for $5.99 while making a profit and you'll be golden. I can't tell you how many women I've seen drinking the heck out of what-ever that 90 calorie beer was years ago simply because it was only 90 calories. That mark would be easy to hit with a 3% ale.

Jester King Le Petite Prince?
I am actually planning on making a 2.9% saison based loosely on it as my next brew (in two months after my move).

EDIT: actually, according to the Brewer's Friend Recipe Maker, my planned recipe is 91.3 calories per 12 oz!

The fact that hops are a proven anti-depressant should bring in the herbal/essential oil/earth mother crowd. All three are the same woman.

The fact that hops are a proven anti-depressant should bring in the herbal/essential oil/earth mother crowd. All three are the same woman.

That is a good point! I'll need to remember that when I start working as a marketing guy selling craft beer to women.

Did I miss a brush with greatness? I saw this leaving a local watering hole.

I can't say whether you did or didn't. But I know this much, you hang around here long enough, you'll find that you aren't the singular brewer in your community that you thought you was.

There are a great number of home brewers in America today. Perhaps more than ever before in the history of our nation. I'm glad to be one of the many, not so much for the sense of community, but more for the great beer I'm enjoying.

Regardless, I find I'm almost acting like I'm following a religion. I find someone interested in what I'm doing, and I "convert them" into one of us. I mentor and guide them, teach them the ways of being a home brewer, and sit back and watch them grow in the ways of the HB and convert others. I need to establish a HomeBrew club locally and I'll have my point of congregation.

I can't say whether you did or didn't. But I know this much, you hang around here long enough, you'll find that you aren't the singular brewer in your community that you thought you was.

There are a great number of home brewers in America today. Perhaps more than ever before in the history of our nation. I'm glad to be one of the many, not so much for the sense of community, but more for the great beer I'm enjoying.

Regardless, I find I'm almost acting like I'm following a religion. I find someone interested in what I'm doing, and I "convert them" into one of us. I mentor and guide them, teach them the ways of being a home brewer, and sit back and watch them grow in the ways of the HB and convert others. I need to establish a HomeBrew club locally and I'll have my point of congregation.

Maybe don't act like that?

Also, I think he's referring to the fact that TxBrew runs this site.

Beer has anti-oxidants too, there's another big selling point.

Also, throw out something about probiotics. 90% of the population doesn't seem to know what they even do, so no one will call BS.

Beer has anti-oxidants too, there's another big selling point.

Also, throw out something about probiotics. 90% of the population doesn't seem to know what they even do, so no one will call BS.

on the probiotics, yeast technically is one so it is not a lie.

But then again why be sexist about it. The best way to sell a product is to have an informed clientele (unless you are selling woo!-drinks). If you are trying to sell to the college types, go for easy drinking, etc. if you want to get the masses enjoying craft beer, information, exposure and relating it with something they already know would probably be the best bet.

I am going to speak (type?) in generalizations here, but most non beer drinking females I know are usually big on wine. Maybe have a few selections available with discriptors that can show relation to different common wines like a pinot or chardonnay or (ugh) dessert wine of some sort.

Okay not funny, but thats my cent and a half

Last night this huge, 35-ish burly bearded dude walks into the liquor store as I was browsing the selection and says, "Hey, do you guys have Summer Shandy?"

Liquor store girl: "Yeah, it's over by the Leinenkugel and other seasonals."

Dude: "SWEET! This stuff is amazing!"

Me: o_O

Back