Airlocks and Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dperry

Reaction score
I use star san in my airlocks. Everytime I drop the temp to cold crash the liquid in the airlock sucks into the fermenter. What can I do to keep this from happening? I havent had any noticable problems from it but would rather it not happen.

I had that problem too, and just stopped bothering with cold crashing for now, especially since I bottle only, so I'm going to have sediment in my beer regardless.

I've read that some people will put a balloon (sanitized in starsan of course) over their carboy which then slowly fills it with CO2, then when it starts cooling off it basically just deflates the balloon, then you can take it off and put on an airlock. This would probably only work with carboys, not plastic buckets.

Another thing I read about people doing is using a blow-off setup with a hose that is long enough that while it will still suck up the starsan in the blow off container, but not enough that it makes it all the way through the hose.

I burp mine once or twice a day. Also switch to cheap vodka so suck-back will just boost the ABV :D

This last batch I did leave the blow off tubes on. Dropped the temp on sat night and sunday morning went to check on it and found 1-1 1/2" of my blow off bucket fluid (which started off as star san 2 weeks ago) floating on top of 5 gal of pale ale. yikes! It was a 10 gal batch and only sucked into one of the carboys and stayed clearly seperated but still scared of it. I went ahead and kegged both. I kept the siphon way under the line and stopped about an 1" before the floating line but kind of scared to drink that one. What do you guys think

When I cold crash I remove the airlock and put a ziplock bag or aluminum foil or etc... over the neck with a rubber band. everything gets a good soaking with star san of course. havent had a problem yet.

yeah foil makes sense. I think I will do that next time because I also have a problem with it freezing so that will take care of that as well.

Latest posts

Back