Killing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanhunt88

Reaction score
I sometimes like to add a little flavored rum ( 70 proof) on top of my brew . If I was to add it to a pale ale at bottling would it kill the yeast and would that affect my brew ? Would force carbing and kegging be better?

In my experience, it wouldn't kill the yeast but could ultimately prevent it from priming your bottles. This really depends on how much rum you are adding, though. If it's just a few caps full to lend some aromatics, you could probably still bottle condition. If it is a quantity significant enough to alter the ABV perceptibly, you'll need to keg and force carb.

I was planning about a half ounce to a ounce per bottle , so it might be better to keg and force carb

By my calculations adding an ounce of 80 proof rum to 11 ounces of beer at 5% ABV will raise the alcohol to about 8% in the beer. That won't kill the yeast or arrest fermentation (think of all the bottle conditioned beers that are higher in alcohol than that).

Just to be safe I wouldn't do it to a whole batch the first time around, maybe just a six pack or so.

By my calculations adding an ounce of 80 proof rum to 11 ounces of beer at 5% ABV will raise the alcohol to about 8% in the beer. That won't kill the yeast or arrest fermentation (think of all the bottle conditioned beers that are higher in alcohol than that).

Just to be safe I wouldn't do it to a whole batch the first time around, maybe just a six pack or so.

It won't kill the yeast, but it will bring your sugar-alcohol equilibrium far enough out of whack that the yeast will stay dormant even after adding priming sugar. It's not about absolute alcohol quantities, but about a ratio of alcohol and unfermented sugars. Big beers have higher alcohols, true, but they also have higher residual sugars.

At that quantity of booze, I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to get natural priming. I've not tried it, though. This is all speculation based on what I know about yeast attenuation, so I'll withdraw that answer if somebody with experience suggests I'm wrong.

Back