Will frost hurt my rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol' rummie

Reaction score
I just got my rhizomes, planted them about 1" under the soil. Then wondered if a frost would hurt them, there are mixed reveiws on the web, does anyone have some first hand experience with frost?
I'm in NS Canada, the lows are around 2C-4C, but frosts are not uncommon within the next month - month and a half.

I believe the answer would be frost bad for first year rhizomes, frost not bad for established hops.

David should show up soon and tell me if I am right or wrong though :)

P.S. I think hops needs about 120 days of frost free days

Dont these roots freeze in the winter anyway?

I vote for not going to hurt them.

If they are planted in the ground to the proper depth, a "frost" isnt going to freeze the rhizome anyway. The soil temp. isnt going to drop that much... not that it should hurt them.

Even if it did freeze the rhizome, many of my roots are running within an inch of the surface in my planting bed, they freeze every winter I assure you, the plants are 2' tall now...

What is your soil temp?

where do you keep your rhizomes until you're ready to plant? (the refrigerator) your newly planted rhizomes will be fine. if the shoots were up and running and you had a hard FREEZE, you might get some of the tips burned back (frozen back). have a couple pints and good nights sleep.

Taken from: pg 25

http://www.crannogales.com/HopsManual.pdf

Hops should be planted as early in the spring as you can get your hands into the soil. A good rule of thumb is to
plant hops the same time you would plant peas or fava beans. Hops, especially if they have been mulched after
planting, can easily withstand a light frost. Although they can be planted as late as the end of May, this reduces
their growing season and wastes the best part of the spring.

My Hops came up three weeks ago in Minnesota, and we froze two nights ago (ice on the dogs water bowl). I looked at the plants today and they are doing fine.

Mine arrived on PEI today.

We are still getting hard frosts every 2 nights or so..... I am going to start mine in a 1 gallon pot and then transplant the entire soil plus rhizome plug in a few weeks.

Back