Beer sitting on the trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
I have had an Octoberfest in a primary since october 17th. With football, house projects, and the outside temp being lower then freezing. I haven't put time aside for brewing or anything beer related. (I live in a small house and do all of my brewing and cleaning equipment outside).

What should I expect? I keep reading that leaving it on the trub too long is bad.

temps around here going to be near 50 this weekend so I'm going to catch up on my brewing, cleaning, and kegging.

I haven't yet, but other brewers have let beers go for several months with no ill effects.
Taste a sample and bottle it.
You might want to put a pinch of dry yeast in the bottling bucket.

First, I brewed an Oktoberfest ale on October 18th i think. I let it sit in the primary until Dec. 28th. I have it kegged but have yet to taste it, waiting for another keg to empty. I will post when I get to taste it. It will def be on tap for the Superbowl.

First, I brewed an Oktoberfest ale on October 18th i think. I let it sit in the primary until Dec. 28th. I have it kegged but have yet to taste it, waiting for another keg to empty. I will post when I get to taste it. It will def be on tap for the Superbowl.

I'll be tapping mine tonight or tomorrow morning and then sampling it 24 hours later....

:tank:

You're reading out dated material pretty much...There's been a big shift in brewing consciousness in the last few years where many of us believe that yeast is a good thing, and besides just fermenting the beer, that they are fastidious creatures who go back and clean up any by products created by themselves during fermentation, which may lead to off flavors.

Rather than the yeast being the cause of off flavors, it is now looked at by many of us, that they will if left alone actually remove those off flavors, and make for clearer and cleaner tasting beers.

You'll find that a great many folks, maybe even the majority on here these days, leave their beers in primary for 3-4 weeks, skipping secondary. Many of us even dry hop in primary, and only rack to secondary if we are adding oak or fruit, or had fruit in the boil or primary and left lots of trub behind.

Even John Palmer talks about this in How To Bew;

How To Brew said:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

And this;

John Palmer

As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.

People have left it as much as six months.

This is where the most up to date brewing wisdom and ideas can be found...In fact a lot of stuff has been started on here, and made it into byo or zymurgy or podcasts...in fact BYO DID a piece on no secondary/long primary, along with the BASIC BREWING PODCAST and even they said that there were no issues/harm with doing it and in some beers it did actually improve the flavor and clarity. And I believe that really WAS influenced by the discussion we have had for the last couple years on here.

Your beer should be crystal clear, very clean and crisp tasting. And when you rack to bottle you leave behind a really dense yeast/trub cake.

Believe me, after three years of doing the long primary/ no secondary I find no need to go back to doing it any other way. The quality of my beers has upped 10 ten fold.

As have my scores in contests.

I let the Abbey Weiss I brewed sit in the primary for about 5 weeks and the Beer is so clear that I can see right through it. Amazing what time will do

After 1 month in primary I get almost no sediment in my bottles.

And little sediment in the bottling bucket either.

The trub is pretty tight in primary after a month, and it is easily left behind.

I don't filter at all. Hop particles make it into my primary. I find that you are exactly right, but that a secondary still cuts the sediment in half.

It's not that I want a beer with no sediment, it is easily left in the bottle, but it is just the process I use.

You're reading out dated material pretty

Believe me, after three years of doing the long primary/ no secondary I find no need to go back to doing it any other way. The quality of my beers has upped 10 ten fold.

As have my scores in contests.

Thanks man I feel much better now.:mug: Can't wait to try the Octoberfest this weekend

I don't filter at all. Hop particles make it into my primary. I find that you are exactly right, but that a secondary still cuts the sediment in half.

It's not that I want a beer with no sediment, it is easily left in the bottle, but it is just the process I use.

I don't filter at all, sometimes even dumping my entire kettle contacts into the bucket, and half the time I forget to add finnings like moss in my boil. It;s not complicated, I leave my beer alone for 1 month. Then rack to a bottling bucket and bottle. and I've never even cold crashed I don't have a sediment issue whatsoever. Maybe ymmv, but I have had no problems with leavin gmy beer in primary and having them come out crystal clear and very bright tasting after a month.

My findings are similar to Revvy. I always leave my beer in primary for 4-6 weeks. No trub in the bottle issues either. One of the best moves I've made next to late addition of malt and other fermentables to the boil. These 2 things have increased my quality 100 fold really.

In an attempt to resuscitate this old thread rather than start a new one on such a similar topic, yeast aside, is there any benefit or detriment to fermenting on a specific amount of hop material and sediment from the boiler in with the beer?

I often leave some behind, but when I hit my target volumes or over boil, it ALL ends up in the fermenter. I am of the mind that those biomass chunks will continue to positively affect the beer through the initial portion of the primary ferment.

Is my assumption right or wrong?

That article is fantastic! The first 5 or 6 paragraphs support what I've been claiming all along. I'm not a clubber, but if I was, I'm sure this would be the most contentiously argued point at the monthly home brewer's meetings for years to come. With this article in hand, I'd be all "up in their faces". At least as up in yo' face as an old man can get. Thanks for posting it!

Sidebar...I went to a local home brew club brew session once. Once was enough. Nice enough group of people, but 30 cooks in the kitchen?!!! By the time they were ready to cool wort I wanted to defecate on the driveway, make ugly faces at two women and hide the refractometer.

Back