Should I just dump it and start over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobjc

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch, a simple cream ale extract. Got it into the carboy, but made a mistake and put the ferment lock on right away instead of the blow off hose. The next day when I checked on it foam had blown the airlock off and made a mess. I put a blow off hose on and let it sit. After 4 days there is no more action from the blow off, or the ferment lock and the foam has crusted inside on the top. According to the recipe I used there should be action for 2 weeks. What should I do?

wait and enjoy yer beer in a few weeks. CO2 is heavier than air, more than likely you are fine....just roll with it. RDWHAHB... or in your case, have a store bought brew.:mug:

I'm with Wolfstar. It shouldn't be a problem. If you want to dump it, send it my way. I'd be happy to drink it.

We've all done it. No problems, except for the mess it made. Leave the beer alone for a few weeks then bottle. I'll bet it's good. You will probably not see anymore airlock activity. But remember, airlock activity is NOT a sign of fermentation. Leave it alone and let the yeast do their thing!

The same thing happened to me a few batches back. Airlock exploded, I cleaned up the mess stuck a blow-off on it and let it go. Turned out to be a fine libation!!! It's worth all the waiting.

Have fun scrubbing the malt off the kitchen floor!!!!!!! :drunk:
Sarah.

Latest posts

Back