brewing in the 3rd world...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranceamerica

Reaction score
Hey, I've been chatting online with a guy who is in Mali with the Peace Corps. He's been brewing some mango wine with some success, but is interested in brewing beer. Of course, they don't have barley and don't have the same equipment we do. Can anyone help me with techinques/recipes for these grains:

corn
sorghum
rice
millet

I'd have to give him instructions on how to prepare and mash these grains. I don't think he'd have any hops either.

I was going to suggest a rice/sorghum or corn/sorghum recipe.

Let's assume he has yeast and has equipment to mash (probably heat it in a pot) and boil. Cracking the grain would be tough - not sure he has any type of grinder, so any suggestions there would be useful too.

Yes, I'm using the term "beer" kinda loosly here. Let's say, fermented grain beverage.

Sake would work. I was thinking Sorghum might taste more like "beer"?

Hey, I've been chatting online with a guy who is in Mali with the Peace Corps. He's been brewing some mango wine with some success, but is interested in brewing beer. Of course, they don't have barley and don't have the same equipment we do. Can anyone help me with techinques/recipes for these grains:

corn
sorghum
rice
millet

I'd have to give him instructions on how to prepare and mash these grains. I don't think he'd have any hops either.

I was going to suggest a rice/sorghum or corn/sorghum recipe.

Let's assume he has yeast and has equipment to mash (probably heat it in a pot) and boil. Cracking the grain would be tough - not sure he has any type of grinder, so any suggestions there would be useful too.

I'm sure they have honey i would recommend a low ABV mead that is carbed up.

Check out the gluten free threads. I think they talk about brewing w sorghum.

this. it may be a little more work, but it should be doable if he really wants to make beer. also in th GF forums they may know of some other things he may have access to.

you can use other flowers/plants whatever as bittering agents.

and this, look up gruit ale or gruited ale. should be able to find some sort of bittering herb that he can find. it may not be exactly like the beer we make, but it should be pretty cool. let us know what he decides to do!

Back