English IPA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snazzy

Reaction score
Well as the title says I am looking to brew an English IPA and have a few things I could use some suggestions on.

First I have plenty of MO for the base and have on hand
1lb of briess crystal40
1lb of simpsons 50/60 crystal
!lb of crystal rye
I am thinking 10lb of MO and 1lb of the simpsons

Also have alot of ekg, fuggle, and williamette that I purchased and have never used any of them exept some fuggle in a oatmeal stout. So I don't really know which to use for bittering flavor and aroma.
I can look at recipes but that does not always tell the tale. Just curious on some of your takes on this. Thanks:mug:

Here is my input.

10# MO
1# c-60
1# Rye

1.066 s.g.

2oz Williamette 60 min
1 oz Fuggles 20 min
1 oz EKG 10 min
1 oz EKG Flameout

51 IBU

S-04 yeast

What will the rye do for me? Never used it. Never had a beer that I know of that used it I just bought it.

Here is my input.

10# MO
1# c-60
1# Rye

1.066 s.g.

2oz Williamette 60 min
1 oz Fuggles 20 min
1 oz EKG 10 min
1 oz EKG Flameout

51 IBU

S-04 yeast

Out of the three hops EKG has the best flavor and aroma? I was guessing the williamette but that is not from any experience. Thanks for the input.

I was a bit surprised to see that according to the judging guidlines that English IBU comes in at around 50. That seems a tad high to me. I've drunk a LOT of IPA in England, and it tends to be somewhat like an ESB, but with a higher ABV. That's not the technical me talking, just the beer drinker in me. As for hops, I would think that willamet or fuggles would make a better choice than EKG because it has a more pronounced bittering and aroma that would be better appresiated by hop loving Americans.

This post is in no way intended to be educational regarding American standards of brewing, just my take on English IPA from an English ex-pat beer whore. ;)

Any other thoughts on which hop gives a better aroma and flavor? Going to brew this weekend and still undecided on my hop additions and which hops to use when.

It drys a beer out makes it a little more crisp as well as adding red color to it.

He has crystal rye, not regular rye, for that reason I would skip it, and maybe add another pound of base malt.

Any other thoughts on which hop gives a better aroma and flavor? Going to brew this weekend and still undecided on my hop additions and which hops to use when.

My opinion is EKG all the way, one of my favorite hops! Also, whos to say you can't mix em up a bit, maybe 1/2 oz each ekg and fuggle at 10 and 1/2 oz each ekg and willamette at flameout, or something.

Omit the crystal rye, and use a simple grist: 10-12 pounds of Maris Otter and a single pound of 60L. This will give you a nice amber color and a pleasant caramel sweetness from the crystal. If you'd like to darken it a touch, two ounces of roasted barley or chocolate will add reddish hues without impacting flavor.

Of the hops that you have at your disposal, use Williamette for bittering and EKG for flavoring and aroma; better yet, dry-hop with a ounce of EKG. The aroma of EKG is so delicate and prized, it'd be a shame to waste it as your bittering charge. English IPAs are not the enamel-stripping alpha acid delivery devices that American IPAs are; there is a firm assertive bitterness and ample malt backbone but I find the style more appropriately showcases flavor and aroma additions.

Some comments,
Jason

fuggles, willamette, and EKG can all be used almost completely interchangeably in this case, although EKG for flavor and/or aroma would certainly be the most authentic

all of these hops fall somewhere in the intersection of herbal, earthy, and spicy flavors and aromas- i have used all three of them at one point or another to give a decidedly English character to an BB/ESB/IPA

Omit the crystal rye, and use a simple grist: 10-12 pounds of Maris Otter and a single pound of 60L. This will give you a nice amber color and a pleasant caramel sweetness from the crystal. If you'd like to darken it a touch, two ounces of roasted barley or chocolate will add reddish hues without impacting flavor.

Of the hops that you have at your disposal, use Williamette for bittering and EKG for flavoring and aroma; better yet, dry-hop with a ounce of EKG. The aroma of EKG is so delicate and prized, it'd be a shame to waste it as your bittering charge. English IPAs are not the enamel-stripping alpha acid delivery devices that American IPAs are; there is a firm assertive bitterness and ample malt backbone but I find the style more appropriately showcases flavor and aroma additions.

Some comments,
Jason

I agree with Jason, with the added suggestion you throw in about a half pound of torrified wheat. For some reason, I feel like English IPAs need it. Willamette for bittering and Fuggles and EKG for aroma and flavor additions. Dry hop with EKG. It should be great.

Great stuff. This is a much easier decision with a little info. I have drank EIPA's but never brewed one.

12lbs MO
1lb c60
2oz Williamette 60min
1oz fuggle 20min
1oz EKG 10min
1oz EKG 5min
1oz EKG dryhop

is what I am kind of leaning toward. Still have a couple of days to tweak and think about it. Thanks

Great stuff. This is a much easier decision with a little info. I have drank EIPA's but never brewed one.

12lbs MO
1lb c60
2oz Williamette 60min
1oz fuggle 20min
1oz EKG 10min
1oz EKG 5min
1oz EKG dryhop

is what I am kind of leaning toward. Still have a couple of days to tweak and think about it. Thanks
Reading this old thread AFTER the horse got out of the barn. Brewed an EIPA yesterday using similar hops. I had First Gold, not EKG, but completely twisted the hop schedule.

75 minute boil
1.15 oz UK Fuggles FWH (for 15+ IBU)
.9 oz UK Fuggles @ 60 min (for 10+ IBU)
2 oz First Gold @ 20 min (for 25 IBU)
1 oz Williamette @ 10 min ( for 5+ IBU)
1 oz Williamette @ flame-out
1 oz Williamette Dry Hop

Question is, how did yours turn out? Would you do anything different? Any comments on the hop schedule that I used?

Edit:
This came in at the top end of the EIPA scale @ 1.074 OG and 55+ IBU

Reading this old thread AFTER the horse got out of the barn. Brewed an EIPA yesterday using similar hops. I had First Gold, not EKG, but completely twisted the hop schedule.

75 minute boil
1.15 oz UK Fuggles FWH (for 15+ IBU)
.9 oz UK Fuggles @ 60 min (for 10+ IBU)
2 oz First Gold @ 20 min (for 25 IBU)
1 oz Williamette @ 10 min ( for 5+ IBU)
1 oz Williamette @ flame-out
1 oz Williamette Dry Hop

Question is, how did yours turn out? Would you do anything different? Any comments on the hop schedule that I used?

Edit:
This came in at the top end of the EIPA scale @ 1.074 OG and 55+ IBU

That beer came out pretty well and is just now tasting really good.
However I have made a couple of EIPA's (or they may fall in other categories) since and started using columbus in the bittering and have even added a little at flame out. WOW does this make a nice addition.

I know it is not an English hop but it sure works well with English hops. Then again if we were purests we would not use williamette.

As far as your schedule I think you can swap will and fuggle and not sweat it for bittering. Williamette I think does make a better aroma and I did end up using it for dry hopping on that beer. Good beer either way.:mug:

That beer came out pretty well and is just now tasting really good. . . .As far as your schedule I think you can swap will and fuggle and not sweat it for bittering. Williamette I think does make a better aroma and I did end up using it for dry hopping on that beer. Good beer either way.
Thanks for the reassurance on the hops. I was concerned about the Willys for aroma in an EIPA, but picked up a pound of it from Hops Direct. Otherwise the brewday went well. I have high hope for this batch. Normally I use liquid yeast for my British styles, but tried dry Nottingham on this one (first time using it.) Like yours, the majority of the grist is Maris Otter. Tried using a higher mash ratio and only a single sparge. Hit all the number pretty close. Now its waiting to see the results.

I set aside an ounce of Willy for dry hopping, but Jason’s suggestion of EKG has me rethinking. Is the aroma of First Gold close enough to use it as and EKG sub for dry hopping? May be use a half ounce of it along with the Williamette?

I set aside an ounce of Willy for dry hopping, but Jason’s suggestion of EKG has me rethinking. Is the aroma of First Gold close enough to use it as and EKG sub for dry hopping? May be use a half ounce of it along with the Williamette?
I've not used First Gold myself, but the description here suggests a fair bit of similarity to EKG. Willamette has Fuggles in its ancestry, so it shares that earthy character that I enjoy from English hops with a touch of American citrus. I often detect a bit of wintergreen spiciness from a Fuggles/EKG combination.

Back