Input on apple cider recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryH

Reaction score
My dad is bringing me 5gal non-preserved apple cider for Christmas. How does this recipe sound.
5 gal cider
3lbs light DME
1lb 40L Crystal steeped 30 min.

Thought of recipe off the top of my head, never made cider before, just 6 batches of beer. Can I use a dry ale yeast like safale s-04 or safbrew s-33. Any ideas on how dry it will turn out (need the wife to like it). Any idea on ABV? Should I add some low alpha hops? Thanks in advance.

NO HOPS! NO DME!
Use either the Safale or Nottingham on the 5 gallons of cider as-is. It will be fairly dry but very drinkable. Wife should like it ok just this way, no need to mess with the fresh stuff to make it better or experiment with it. You need to try it without anything in it in order to change up the recipe later to your taste anyway. I like just five gallons of cider fermented with a good ale yeast myself. I also play around with 3 gallons, demerera sugar, and apple juice concentrates to get a sweet, real sweet, sparkling apple cider. If this is your first time to ferment the apple, then just do it by itself. Try several in 09' and by next Christmas you will have a recipe you really like to make and everyone will enjoy.

Back