Primary Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerOfDoom

Reaction score
I have had my Red Ale in primary for 8 days at a steady 70 degrees. Should I expect any strange flavors when I rack tomorrow?

PanzerOfDoom said:
I have had my Red Ale in primary for 8 days at a steady 70 degrees. Should I expect any strange flavors when I rack tomorrow?

What yeast did you use? Most yeasts do well between 65-72°, so it should be okay. At the very worst you'll get a slight fruity character, but most of the times it isn't noticeble enough to be a serious flaw.

In the future I'd try to ferment around 66 degrees because during active fermentation in primary the temp of the wort/beer can actually raise a few degrees. If you think your ferment temp was 70°, in all actuality it was probably closer to 75°.

It'll still be good beer, man, NIF!!!!

It was Wyeast Irish 1084; temp did start out high but I cooled it fairly aggressively but the ambient temp here was mid to high 70's.

Back