fermenting in a sanke keg. best way to heat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Komocabo

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer with STC-1000 temp controller for my fermentation chamber. I recently (legally) acquired 2 kegs to use as fermenters.

Its going to start getting colder, so I plan to disconnect the freezer as I will actually have to heat the fridge to keep at my desired temp. I have the capability to control heating and cooling with the STC. My freezer is an older style with the coils built into the shelf. This creates condensation, so plan is to completely unplug the freezer and just put a heating device inside to bring the temp up when needed.

So, what is recommended? Small space heater? Reptile light? Heat wrap?

I would prefer something that is easy to remove so I can switch back to cooling (plug the freezer back in) in Spring.

So, what are you safely and successfully using? I am not very comfortable with the light in a paint can thing... screams for disaster IMO.

~Cheers

I am not very comfortable with the light in a paint can thing... screams for disaster IMO.

~Cheers

Why are you not comfortable with a light bulb, but you would be comfortable with a reptile heater or space heater in the same space?

I ferment in sanke kegs in a chest freezer and use a 100 watt incandescent light bulb. No paint can or anything, just a regular lamp like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HHQ94C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Because your beer is inside stainless, there is no concern about light in the chamber.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently because I have flawed logic (hehe - good point!)

I have one of those sitting around I could use. Do you run both the freezer and lamp at the same time (meaning everything is plugged in). My biggest concern is the condensation from the coils of the freezer and a heat source that can get wet and cause a short, or worse. You're right though, my logic didn't really make any damn sense... now I'm off to drink some more brain cells away.

Any other thoughts?

P.S., I totally lied because it's a upright freezer, not a chest freezer

I occasionally run both heat and cool at the same time, but usually unplug the freezer when it is cold enough in my garage to only need heat. Condensation is an issue, DampRid is your friend. Keep the lamp and cords high in your freezer and you shouldn't have any problems.

Been using a low wattage cfl bulb with the stc 1000 and 7cf freezer. Works fine.

Latest posts

Back