MAXCOLD Island Breeze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patro

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these as a mash tun? I've got a 50 quart one, but the drain is pretty much underneath between the wheels, so I'm not sure it will be useable. It's got a little bit of clearance between the drain and the ground because of the wheels (maybe an inch and a half, and it's angled downwards.

I use one. I got a stainless to 1/2 CPVC and a 1/2" 90 degree bent piece of CPVC. A simple T to a stainless mesh hose.
I've got over 20 batches on this stainless mesh, I really should replace it. Lol.

image-2512814847.jpg

Edit: mine is the 60qt, but I believe it's the same. I started out with a 2" extension before my ball valve because the valve handle would hit the plastic body of the cooler. I've since gotten a different valve and installed it upside down to take care of this issue.

Awesome thanks for the info! Got any pics of the outside? I'm mainly worried about how the valve will fit on the outside. On the 50qt the drain hole is at the lowest point inside. Seems like I won't be able to have the cooler sitting down on any surface without all the weight resting on the valve. I guess worse case I could have it hang off the edge of a table, or build a stand.

Yup, it's gotta be at the edge of the table. Works fine for my setup (I've got three shiny 25 gallon kettles coming anyway (-: )

Edit:
Oops forgot the picture. This is an old one from when I just moved and rigged up anything to brew with.

image-1811667297.jpg

I'm assuming that your LT is on the shelf with the MT. How do you heat the water for the LT? Just curious I'm trying to figure out something with my own set up.

Has anyone used one of these as a mash tun? I've got a 50 quart one, but the drain is pretty much underneath between the wheels, so I'm not sure it will be useable. It's got a little bit of clearance between the drain and the ground because of the wheels (maybe an inch and a half, and it's angled downwards.

You don't have to use the factory bulkhead...if you are a bit handy, some people drill a hole in this type cooler out the front, rather than i=using the bulkhead in the back.

If I was to do it again I would drill another hole. If I were to keep this system I would.

That actually is my hot water vessel for cleaning next to my tun. I have a commercial controller on my hot water heater and it puts out water at 170. (Don't ask how, it was that way when I bought the house, the inspector told me it was a commercial unit). I fill my mash tun with 170 water from my garage sink, then put the hose in the high keggle. Fill it about half way. After my mash I turn the hot water on again and wait for it to run up to 170 then fill a bucket with my sparge water (batch sparging). Then i do the lift, grunt, and pour. It's high tech, super custom. The HLT is great because I put a little Oxy in there and run it into my kettle and the tun with gravity to clean. Hot Oxy is the best!

Back