Wlp862 "cry havoc"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ao125

Reaction score
Was at the homebrew shop over the weekend and saw this: http://stores.mdhb.com/-strse-1239/WLP862-CRY-HAVOC-Liquid/Detail.bok

Anyone ever used "Cry Havoc" before?

Licensed from Charlie Papazian, this strain can ferment at ale and lager temperatures, allowing brewers to produce diverse beer styles. The recipes in both Papazian's books, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing and The Homebrewers Companion, were originally developed and brewed with this yeast. Ales: Attenuation: 66-70; Flocculation: M-L; Optimum Fermentation Temp: 68-74°F (20-23°C); Optimum Cellaring Temp: 50-55°F (10-13°C). Alt beers can be cellared at lagering temperatures. Lagers: Attenuation: 66-70; Flocculation: L; Optimum Fermentation Temp: 55-58°F (13-14°C); Optimum Lagering Temp: 32-37°F (0-3°C)

I was contemplating perhaps trying some sort of light or session beer with it, but I've never seen it before.

Not too long after SandLot Brewery at Coors Field opened, Charlie P stopped by for a visit. All of us brewers were greatly honored by his presence.

He had a story and a question for us. He related how Finn Knudsen (former Director of Brewing Research & Developement at Coors and one of the designers of the cylindro-conical fermenter) gave him a sample of yeast one day. "Charlie", Finn said, "This is a VERY special yeast. It will make some great beers." Charlie asked him it's pedigree. Finn would never say where it came from or anything about it. After much prodding, Finn finally gave him a Coors internal reference number.

Charlie proceeded to use this "special" yeast for all his beers. He fermented warm, he fermented cold. He fermented high gravity beers and low. He kept re-propagating it. Multiple generations went by and this yeast mutated into what is now known as "Cry Havoc"

After the story, he told us the Coors internal reference number. He asked us if there was any way we could find out where the yeast had come from. At that time, SandLot was part of Coors Brewing R&D. I called over to the lab and asked the manager if she could look up this sample. She said no problem and would call back shortly.

About 10 minutes went by and she returned my call.

She said that particular sample was taken from a keg of Bud.

Charlie was shocked!

All this time he was fermenting ales, wheats, barley wines, and even meads with Budweiser yeast.

Today, I am sure Cry Havoc doesn't resemble it's progenitor much, but it did originally come from a keg of Bud.

Bwahahahaha. Nice. :mug:

Somebody was able to culture yeast for a keg of bud? Yeah.......

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that someone at Coors' labs cultured something like this.

Still... if that's true... it makes me want to try it in a light ale or lager idea I'm putting together called simply "Beer". Something with 2-row, 6-row, flaked corn, and Saaz. I was going to use a Kolsch yeast, but this doesn't sound bad.

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that someone at Coors' labs cultured something like this.

I do, considering Bud is both pasteurized AND filtered. What surprises me is that the brewers at Sandlot didn't pick up on this line of BS...

Kegged Budweiser was not pasteurized. Filtering does not remove ALL the yeast.

Coors does have the technology to extract a single yeast cell from an entire keg. At the time I was at Coors, most of the R&D staff had multiple masters in microbiology, fermenting science and related fields. More than a few of the staff had doctorates. The lab folks at Coors also have quite the yeast collection. All kept stored in cryo chambers at -196C.

This information was also confirmed by questioning Mr. Knudsen.

Back