New Perlick faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakeddog

Reaction score
Hello all. I stopped by the local professional beverage dispensing company to grab some parts I needed to split my regulators up so I could have an easy travel setup. While there, I asked if they had any simple faucets lying around I could have for my travel setup.

Well he brought out a new Perlick I have never seen before. So of course I had to take it. :D

As you can see below, I put it next to my regular 525SS. The snout is longer that the 525, and steeper as well. It also has the flow controller on the side of it. According to the Perlick website, only the non-perl faucets come with the flow control.

So anybody know which model this is? Possible cost? Ifind out tomorrow how much he's going to charge me.

Image1-1.jpg

Image2.jpg

It's a beauty. Did some searching and I cannot find it.
Please let us know when you find out the model number and any other info.

Thanks.

I have seen it before.... It is a perlick 307 (see http://www.perlick.com/pdf-files/Tapping-no-prices.pdf on page 5). I was temped to get one, but I think you need to use that shank... which means I can't use it through wall of my refrigerator.

EDIT: I am wrong... I looked at it again and it is a perl with a flow control... that must be a prototype or something. I'd love to get one of those... especially if I can get one with a long shank or that works on any shank.

EDIT 2: Can you take some more pictures?... especially of the shank etc. Does the shank unmount? Can it be used on a normal shank or is the shank special for that faucet?

I have seen it before.... It is a perlick 307 (see http://www.perlick.com/pdf-files/Tapping-no-prices.pdf on page 5). I was temped to get one, but I think you need to use that shank... which means I can't use it through wall of my refrigerator.

EDIT: I am wrong... I looked at it again and it is a perl with a flow control... that must be a prototype or something. I'd love to get one of those... especially if I can get one with a long shank or that works on any shank.

EDIT 2: Can you take some more pictures?... especially of the shank etc. Does the shank unmount? Can it be used on a normal shank or is the shank special for that faucet?
Please look again. The faucet is mounted to a standard shank.

The back end looks standard, but not sure about the end that attaches to the faucet itself. The Micromatic, etc of those all use a custom shank with a big cone mounted it in which is how they do the flow control.

Actually EFaden is correct. The shank length is required due to the cone shaped plunger inside of it. Below you can see.

Image1-2.jpg

Image2-1.jpg

So the shank is specific to the faucet, as it is beveled inside to fit around the cone shaped plunger.

Yeah... thats what I figured. It makes it impossible to use with any other shank. So I talked to a few of the guys I know and it isn't actually released yet. They are planning to release them, but that has to be a prototype of some sort.

Personally I hope they release them with longer shanks since the above won't make it through the wall of the fridge.

Either way that is an awesome score. My guess on cost would be $40 to $50.

Wow, good to know. Thanks Eric.

I'm tempted to swap it out with one of my main Perlicks, but my anal retentiveness is struggling with the different finishes. Mine are SS and this is chrome.

Now the flow control...how effective is it? Right now I run short beer lines with the mixer inserts in the dip tube to restrict the flow. So would I be able to do without the inserts and just utilize the flow controller?

Yeah. That's the idea. Likely they didn't put much time into the finish of whatever you have since it is a prototype of some sort (could be early production, I really don't know since none of the distributors have it).

As far as effectiveness... should be pretty effective. The design is made to allow for a LARGE amount of resistance to be added without causing foam out. Personally I'd plug it in with a normal length line and test it. A lot of other companies use a similar design (never seen the propellor looking design on the end of the cone)... e.g. micromatic, etc. All require the use of the specific shank which is why I haven't used one yet.

Micromatic recently released http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/taps-faucets-pid-FCA-A.html which is a flow control that goes between a normal shank and a normal faucet. I am tempted to get one and test it on my soda lines.... and if it works put it on all of the lines.

Ok, that's what I was thinking. The finish does look like it is done properly, so I am not concerned with flaking or any problems like that.

I think I ended up paying around 40€ for it (~$55), as it was bundles with some other parts I received as well as some service. Right now I am kegging a beer for our midsummer celebration next Friday, so that is when I will be able to properly test it out. I'll report back if it is any different from any other standard faucet.

Ok, that's what I was thinking. The finish does look like it is done properly, so I am not concerned with flaking or any problems like that.

I think I ended up paying around 40€ for it (~$55), as it was bundles with some other parts I received as well as some service. Right now I am kegging a beer for our midsummer celebration next Friday, so that is when I will be able to properly test it out. I'll report back if it is any different from any other standard faucet.

Yeah... I'll be curious to see how it does.

So has anyone (such as the OP) actually used these? Was wondering if they work to prevent foaming without a mile-long hose (or the epoxy mixers). I will shortly be replacing my old-skool faucets with Perlicks, and I was wondering if this was worth the few extra bucks - and if there was a selection for length of those special shanks.

I'll just stick to my perfect pouring system with the 525SS's.

That's what I like to call over-engineering...

ResumeMan said:
What do you do to control the flow? Long hose (how long?)? Mixer swizzles? Other?

10' of 3/16" hose pours perfect with 11-12 psi. In my old kegerator I had 6' and it still poured nice, but a little fast.

anyone get to try these out yet? i am about to go with some longer hose, but was thinking of swapping out my cheap faucets in the near future, so i might be able to skip the lines. im not sure if these will work on a standard shank thats fitted on a draft tower? anyone know what i need to make these work? its a tower from kegconnection.

Thanks for reviewing it.

There seems to be some discrepancy about the standard shank issue. Upthread some folks noted that there's something sticking out the back preventing the use of a standard shank. But you say that's not the case and it can fit on any shank?

Also - so does this thing work well to control flow? Does it work properly with high carb and/or a short hose to prevent foaming?

Thanks for reviewing it.

There seems to be some discrepancy about the standard shank issue. Upthread some folks noted that there's something sticking out the back preventing the use of a standard shank. But you say that's not the case and it can fit on any shank?

Also - so does this thing work well to control flow? Does it work properly with high carb and/or a short hose to prevent foaming?

would love to know this as well! i have my finger on the buy button, but i would like to know if these actually work well with short lines, and if they fit on a standard shank. thanks for the review, hopefully you can provide some more input here!

My experience is... it works with my standard shank.

As far as how it works. I would say it works well.

I haven't put it on a highly carbonated beer yet. It's currently serving a slightly over carbonated IPA just fine. It has about 4 foot of 3/16" tubing on it.

Even though this isn't a highly carbonated beer, I've found I need to ratchet up the restriction a bit in order to get it to pour correctly. This results in a slower pour rate vs my standard Perlicks. I think that is common with flow control faucets. These are not providing the gentle restriction of long lengths of tubing, there is a device (that causes some turbidity itself) that provides the restriction right before beer hits the air.

The upside is obvious. These pour more slowly, but they do not require long lengths of tubing. You don't have to mess with long lines in your kegerator. I don't know about you, but I find that the beer that just sits in my lines is under carbonated. In my book, the less beer you have sitting in tubing, the better.

I don't have experience with a high carb beer yet, as I've said, but I feel as though I have plenty of resistance left to use. The control seems to be sensitive. A small movement in the control lever seems to provide a noticeable change in the way the beer pours.

Take a look at the comments section of my post. A commenter has done quite a bit of digging on this particular faucet that may be helpful. One thing that's been in question has been- Is the stainless or chrome? The commenter says that Perlick has confirmed that it is chrome.

Would I replace all of my faucets with this... no. I'd like to say yes, but the slower pouring that's required because of the constrictor makes me want to use standard Perlicks for most beers.

Do I prefer this over the European model pictured in my post... definitely. The forward sealing anti-stick is outstanding. The size profile on this is much better. And the flow restriction/pouring behavior of this matches or exceeds the European model.

Thanks 724b! Seeing as though i was going to upgrade my faucets anyway, i may give these a try. If i can control foaming, i can live with a slow pour. If they don't work as good as i like, i could always lengthen my lines also. Only downfall is they're chrome, but oh well.

Nice! Let us know how they work out for you.

Thanks 724b! Seeing as though i was going to upgrade my faucets anyway, i may give these a try. If i can control foaming, i can live with a slow pour. If they don't work as good as i like, i could always lengthen my lines also. Only downfall is they're chrome, but oh well.

Holy cow I was just there looking at these yesterday! Glad I didn't buy 'em then, I woulda felt pretty stupid!

I might have to jump on this. I've been meaning to upgrade my crappy standard faucets to Perlicks. I wasn't quite ready to buy these yet, but saving 20% might be too tempting...

Only 10 left at that price... better not think about it too long :)

Holy cow I was just there looking at these yesterday! Glad I didn't buy 'em then, I woulda felt pretty stupid!

I might have to jump on this. I've been meaning to upgrade my crappy standard faucets to Perlicks. I wasn't quite ready to buy these yet, but saving 20% might be too tempting...

Good point. Order placed. I actually need two faucets, but since they only give the discount for one, I just got the one for now to see how I like it.

Product - Perlick 545 PC Faucet

picked up mine from there. a couple bucks more plus the shipping costs, but eh, i got them in two days.

just installed them, poured a pint and still got foam, but i dont have a good system to cool my lines inside the tower yet, still working on that. poured another pint to get used to the adjuster, you can pour down to a trickle, then up to a normalish flow it seems. nice perfect head on that pint. i overcarbed this beer on accident, and with the cheap faucets i would get nothing but a whole glass of foam. will do some more testing tonight, its a bit early to have a buzz. but so far so good.

OK I got my Perlick flow control. I installed it the other day and it seems to work fine. It's my first Perlick so I have nothing to compare it to on that front. But the flow control seems to work just fine. I have a porter on at 12 psi with only a 3 ft 3/16 hose, and can pour it at a reasonable speed with only moderate flow. I'll keep playing with it for a bit, and if it keeps working well I may get another for the other tap.

Does anyone know if the spouts on these are equivalent to any other Perlick faucet? I was thinking about buying a Bowie Bottler, and was wondering if it would be compatible.

I just picked up 5 Stainless Steel Perlick Perls for $300 with 4inch shanks locally in Denver. A buddy who owns a Microbrew Bar (82 taps of micros) picked them up for me. Foxx Equipment Co

Back