Buying returned bottles from Beer Store in Ontario?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martytoof

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with whether the Beer Store here in Ontario will sell cases of empty returned bottes?

I'm going to be bottling my first batch in a few days but I'm still trying to source bottles. If only I'd known I was going to be a homebrewer I'd have probably stocked up on bottles over the years ;)

Cheers!

Don't bother. Call up a restaurant that you know serves a pop-top beer (ie, half the bars in this province seem to have Corona Night for some reason). Tell them you'll pick up the corona cases and pay them a premium on what they'd get for the empties. Perhaps the value of as many cases you need plus 5 bucks. Check em for cigs, though you can't smoke indoors in bars here so you could just get them from a place with no patio.

Why would you want corona bottles.. you like skunked beer? Stay away from clear bottles, turn your nose up at green ones... the brown ones are what you want.

Generally, any store that takes returns will gladly give them to you for the cost of your state-mandated deposit. like 5 - 10 cents each.

i think the beer store just crushes the bottles.

The Beer Store (note the Caps) in Ontario does actually return the bottles back to the breweries. They're good for several cycles before they're actually crushed and recycled.

As for the OP, you could just hang out outside The Beer Store offering to buy people's empties from them? Sort of the opposite of underage teenagers :)

Or just throw a party :ban:

I asked at The Beer Store and they refused. I think your best bet would be a bar.

Get friendly with people. When I was into winemaking and needed to source fruit, I'd find a vendor in the market or even roadside and start a chat. If they had any fruit too ripe to sell, they'd offload it to me by the flat/crate in exchange for a few bottles of homemade wine later on down the road. They'd be even more receptive to me when I made good on my word and stopped by just to drop off some wine.

I'd assume the same would work with bartenders or owners if you chatted them up and asked them for bottles in return for some homebrew. Most bars I know don't get a dime for their glass - it ends up in the recycle bins and gets collected by the city once or twice a week. What could it hurt? Plus if you churn out some good beer they could give you regular access to the bins. It just depends on the people and how good you are chatting them up.

The only thing I would advise is to be careful and extremely selective when choosing bottles from a bar. Unlike with a residential unit, which shares its bins with other recyclables such as cardboard and plastic which can absorb impact, bars and pubs have bins exclusively for glass and often get chucked in - hard. If you learn the neighborhood's collection days from the bar personnel, you can then access the bins right before collection day when they are full and have the least chance of fracture. You don't have to pick and choose on site, bring dozens home and clean/delabel them. When they are spotless, examine them under a bright light and check for microfractures. Bigger beers often have thicker bottles, which means unless you are hurting for bottles or specifically want them, stay away from twist-offs.

The more you brew, the friendlier you become. Use this to your advantage!

Has anyone had any experience with whether the Beer Store here in Ontario will sell cases of empty returned bottes?

I'm going to be bottling my first batch in a few days but I'm still trying to source bottles. If only I'd known I was going to be a homebrewer I'd have probably stocked up on bottles over the years ;)

Cheers!

Years for a couple cases of empties? :confused: Seems like one night with a few friends would do it. BTW, I get bottles for $28/case direct from the local brewery. :drunk:

Back