Foam Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyNaples

Reaction score
Making my first batch, and it foamed up and over. I promptly placed a glass over the top of the carboy to replace the airlock until the foam subsided.
I now have some crud from the neck of the carboy that fell on to the surface of my wort.
What do I do?

clean up the spill and airlock, and use a blow off tube for the vigorous part of the fermentation next time.

+1 on the blow off tube...you might actually get yourself a few feet of 1" tubing that you can place right into the top of your carboy. Don't worry about the crud - it's leftover from the krausen and will not contaminate the wort...

Thanks for the quick responses!!! I will be using a blow off tube in the future.
Before bottling, should I just be careful with my siphon hose, or run it through a strainer?

BTW,I am a wine maker before a beer maker,

If your careful you should be fine. I like to move my beer the day before to where I will be working. :mug:

OK, I pitched yeast on sunday night at 4:30PM. It is now 11:00 on Tuesday morning and airlock action has stopped. It can't be done, can it?

RDWHAHB. Give it a couple of weeks in the fermentor before worrying about it. Airlock activity is NOT indicative of fermentation.

BoisePorter, thanks for replying. This is a HomeBrew kit, says it should go to bottle in about 10 days. I guess checking the SG would help, huh.
Also, what is RDWHAHB?
Thanks again.

RDWHAHB - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php?title=RDWHAHB&redirect=no

You always want to check the SG for several days in a row. If it stays steady for several days, then fermentation is "mostly" done. It could still be doing a tiny amount of fermenting I would guess. But for all intents and purposes, it is done. BUT, leaving in the fermentor for longer periods can/will help with other flavors.

i would let it sit at least two full weeks primary and then to secondary. or a full month in primary. to bottle in 10 days will give you very "green" beer. throw out the directions and wait wait wait. patience is a virtue in homebrew

Like I mentioned, I am a wine maker, making my first batch.
Is air space in my carboy/secondary supposed to be kept to a minimum, like in wine making?

Back