How much color does pumpkin add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritsak

Reaction score
I'm whipping up a pumpkin ale recipe to brew tomorrow, and i'm curious how much additional color the pumpkin (canned type, 60oz) will impart on the final product? Unfortunately beersmith doesn't have the option of pumpkin. Right now my SRM is around 13 with most color coming from dark brown sugar, biscuit, caramunich, and crystal 40. It's displayed as a nice coppery/red color now, and i'm hoping the pumpkin will intensify this.

TIA

I brewed my pumpkin ale last week adding about 6 lbs of caramelized pumpkin to the boil for 90 minutes. The SRM on promash is 7, but in the fermenter it is the color of fresh pumpkin. I can't wait to taste it in November!

Same here, had a nice pumpkin color. If you are brewing tomorrow I hope you have your canned pumpkin already. If not you better get out the phone book and start dialing to find it. There was only 1 place out of 20 I called in Columbus last weekend that had it, and that was a small specialty hippy grocier that had the $4.00 organic stuff.

Yea I had trouble finding my pumpkin too. I had to go to an organic foods store and buy 6 little 15 ouncers of organic pumpkin.

Same here. I checked a few local "big" grocery stores and they didn't have it. I called a small organic place and they have 15oz jars of it. For a five gallon batch, would about 60oz be good for a Pumpkin Ale?

Same here. I checked a few local "big" grocery stores and they didn't have it. I called a small organic place and they have 15oz jars of it. For a five gallon batch, would about 60oz be good for a Pumpkin Ale?

I did a 6 gallon batch with 6 cans that I caramelized in the oven at 350 for an hour. As it went into the fermentor I took a sample for a gravity reading and had a few people who were with me try it. They all agreed that it tasted just like pumpkin pie. So, 4 cans for a five gallon batch is probably sufficient, but depending on how pumpkiny you want it you may want to use 5.

Back