Can you Brew It recipe for Stone Old Guardian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1103
FG
IBU 129.2
SRM 14.6

90 minute boil

10.14Kg British Pale Malt
500g Crystal 75

56g warrior 17%AA 90m
66g EKG 4.75%AA 20m
15g each of Centennial, Chinook, and Simcoe dry hop

WLP007

Mash at 148 for 90 minutes.

Discussion notes:
A lengthy discussion over the difficulty of comparing big, complex beers of differing ages. Most importantly, an American Barleywine will display different characteristics over time. Hop bitterness/flavor/aroma will fade, alcohol warmth becomes softer, etc. This can make comparing to a commercial example difficult.

There was also a discussion on the importance of monitoring volume, gravity, boiloff, and hop additions on a complex beer like this. Tasty talked about really knowing your boiloff rate is important. However, that boiloff rate can become inconsistent depending on conditions such as wind and ambient temperature. [Personally, this is one of the biggest transitions from extract to all grain. It is easy on a simple, small beer, but really knowing your system on this kind of beer takes practice. Knowing your efficiency and boiloff and having a refractometer has been essential to me.]

Tasty said that about a third of his brewdays have something unexpected happen but he has learned to work around them from experience. One thing he brought up is having a second propane tank as a backup. [I do this now and it saved me on a recent brew session when the wind caused my propane to burn about three times as fast.]

Proper storage for this type of beer is important. Keeping this beer refrigerated will help this beer last much longer. Even basement temps of 65 are too warm for optimal.

As far as dry hopping, yes the dry hop aroma for this beer will be different than dry hopping for an IPA which will be consumed a couple weeks later, but it will still contribute months later.

Back