1.05 Hard to get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
I used 6 pounds of LME and 2.5 pounds of Light DME and my OG was 1.05 is this right? How much do I need to use to hit the 1.06+ mark?

Did you stir before taking the reading? The sugars will settle to the bottom, so the wort you collect on the top often has a lower gravity.

It was probably due to the size of the batch. A quick run through Promash has a OG of 1.052 for 6 gallons and 1.061 or so for 5 gallons.

The expected OG for extract, unlike All Grain, is pretty much written in stone for a given batch size. LME typically adds 36 gravity points per pound per gallon. DME adds about 40 gravity points/lb/gal.

Promash makes it really easy to do the calculations but it is possible to do it with some simple formulas. For example, the formula for your 6 lbs of LME would be 6 lbs x 36 gravity points ÷ 6 gallons = 36 or .036

Then the 2.5 lbs of DME would be expressed as 2.5 lbs x 40 gravity points ÷ 6 gallons = 16 or .016

Add the .036 to 0.16 along with the given of 1 and you get a SG of 1.052 for your 6 gallon batch. Change the batch size to 5 gallons and plug that into the above formulas and you come up with a SG of 1.063.

John

Latest posts

Back