Over pitched yeast,not stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer_master

Reaction score
:drunk:Hmmmmm!

I made 3 batches of same beer (1 x25L ,1 x30l ,1x20l )
First batch i used danstar ale dry yeast 1x11gr.pack,there was vigorous fermentation for 3 days maybe,then no airlock activities at all,i kept it in fermentor for a 2,5 maybe 3 weeks and reck it(hydrometer fg was 1.009- .010).

Second batch had vigorous fermentation, used moutons dry yeast 1x6gr.pack,the airlock and the stoper shoot out of the carboy ;).2 days after same as with the first batch,although this one ill rack today it ha been in fermentor for a 3 weeks..(ill check FG)

Last one i used moutons dry yeast 1x6gr.package,had 1 day of active fermentation more,2 weeks in the fermentator.

Now..

For first batch i submerged dry yeast all with sterilised water and sugar at specific.temp as shown on label.Only thing is it stayed for 4 hours before adding it to wort.(maxbe this could be the issue)

Second batch same as for the first one

For third batch i just sprinkle yeast over the wort and shake.

Could it be that temp was too high and yeasties went berserk ,but temp didnt go above 29 Co.

Strange regarding that all of three batches acted the same way with strange fementation.

It's perfectly normal for ale yeasts fermented at room temps to finish in 2-3 days.Don't be worried.I've had beers finish fermenting in 24 hours.
And as far as overpitching is concerned-no you didn't.I've used 11g packs for 9L batches with excellent results-no need to worry.
For best results though it is best to keep your ale fermentation temps under 22C.
Oh, also when you re-hydrate yeast,you should not add sugar.Only use boiled and cooled water.The sugar will actually slow the yeasts growth.

Back