SP note quite right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injen69

Reaction score
I started a brew festa Blonde lager 5 weeks ago. 1st Sp was 1.062 .... after 1st rack to the carboy my sp changed to 1.012 after 1 week. Today (3 weeks later) I checked the SP and it went up to 1.020 ? how is this possible ?
I was hoping to have a strong beer!!!

If it was extract, did you stir the top-off water sufficiently? Did you make sure there were no bubbles on the hydrometer? Was the beer at room temperature?

If yes, yes, and yes... see if your hydrometer reads 1.000 in 60 degree water.

The temps were both the same when I checked .... and it was def not user error

The temps were both the same when I checked .... and it was def not user error

Sorry but this statement I will argue, 99% of the time it is user error

did you spin the hydrometer to get all the bubbles off of it ?
did you hold the test tube level?
was the test tube clean and free of any sort of residue?

there are many things that can effect your readings

the mantra around here is to "check you gravity for 2-3 days and if there is no
change you can bottle"

-Jason

Most hydrometers have 3 lines - Brix, SG, and Potential Alcohol.

You sure you didn't read the wrong line on the last reading?

I know I'm a dumba$$ sometimes, and when I see something that seems to be impossible, it more than likely that I wasn't paying attention or I was being careless.

It happens, but your readings being that far off I would have to say "there were other forces at work", that made it inaccurate either the first or even the second time.

IMO your first week reading is probably an inaccuracy, I just brewed a stout that was 1.060 and it took over 3 weeks to ferment out. I don't know what kind of yeast you are using either, but it may just take a little longer because of the higher OG. If it is an extract brew with specialty grains, there will be some unfermentables in there as well. My OG 1.060 wouldn't drop below 1.018, and that was after 4 weeks (28 days) in he primary, I racked, primed and bottled from there.

Best brew yet...

What does SP stand for? That's the only reason I opened this thread and I couldn't find the answer. :confused:

Your hydro reading cannot go up. That would indicate that you added more sugars and/or unfermentables, after your 1st reading, that did not ferment. If you did not do that, then you cannot have happen what you claim. Its physically impossible.

I vote for temp difference. This is why you correct up for wort thats hotter than 60* and, and correct down for wort thats under 60*.

what makes me me wonder is that I have done this beer before. This time I added 700g of extra liquid sugar. So I figured my alcohol percentage would be higher ... in this case it never really changed it.

Back