I Have Blowoff - Is Everything OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis1979

Reaction score
Well I have officially had my first blowoff problem. I know I have been pushing it but I keep using the basic airlock, until today. Thankfully, I caught it early. It had only been oozing for about a hour. I modified the airlock and set up a blowoff tube.

Here is my question; why are some fermentations so much more active that others. On this batch I am using Wyeast German Ale yeast. I have used it before and the fermentation was a little more active but not too much for a standard airlock. This one is nuts. I kind of feel like the fermentation got going a little quick but it was within the 5 -15 hours that is expected. I pitched the yeast with the wort at 72°. I have the bucket in my workshop. I noticed active fermentation in 8 hours and by then the room temp was down to 65 so I don’t feel like there are any temperature issues. Does any of this sound not right?

Dennis

You're fine, every fermentation is different. I started 2 batches the same day and pitched the same type of dry yeast. One needed a blow off the other didn't. I think as long as you don't have wild temp swings you'll be fine.

Back