No head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benpen

Reaction score
Brewed up my pumpkin ale kit and one week in primary, one week in secondary, then in the keg. I was gonna force @30 psi
Left there for one day then decided I'd knock it down to 12 psi and leave it. I've tried it every day and its not getting any head on top when pouring. It gets a little cloudy on top but not foam or a thick head. I wash with oxy clean and sanitize with star san. Anybody have any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

How long has it been?
24 hours at 30psi and then how many days at 12?
Im sure the answer is not long enough!

[...]Anybody have any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Yup. You're drinking your beer too soon.

I will not "burst carb" a brew. I allow at least two weeks carbing at serving temperature and pressure to get to "Go". And the same beer is even better with a third week on the gas.

Patience, grasshopper...

Cheers! ;)

Yup. You're drinking your beer too soon.

I will not "burst carb" a brew. I allow at least two weeks carbing at serving temperature and pressure to get to "Go". And the same beer is even better with a third week on the gas.

Patience, grasshopper...

Cheers! ;)

Thus illustrates the importance of establishing, and properly maintaining, your pipeline early on. :D I have three kegs on tap while a fourth is carbonating in the brew fridge. By the time one spot opens up, keg #4 is carbonated and ready to serve. I'm even carbonating in the basement now (low enough temperature to use a reasonable pressure level). :ban:

A deep pipeline is indeed a home brewer's bestest friend ;)

For $100 you can pick up a serviceable fridge off of Craig's List, a couple hundred more to outfit it with a modest multi-keg CO2 system, and magically extend your pipeline by a couple/few weeks.

And your SO can fill the gaps with her white wines.
It's all good.

Cheers! :mug:

Back