Do I need a 5gal or 10gal cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cootr_brn

Reaction score
Hi All

I want to get into all-grain brewing and I am trying to decide whether I should but a 5gal or 10gal cooler. For now I will be brewing 5/6 gallon batches at a time but one day I would like to graduate to 10 gallon batches.

I have read that you need to be careful when choosing a cooler size because you need to ensure that you have enough grain bed depth to have an effective lauter.

What experiences have you guys had?

Thanks

Hi All

I have read that you need to be careful when choosing a cooler size because you need to ensure that you have enough grain bed depth to have an effective lauter.

Grain bed depth is irrelevant if you are batch sparging, which I would advise for a first timer.

A five gallon cooler will max out at 12 -13 pounds of grain i believe. Any heavy brew will usually require more than a 5 gallon MLT. IMO a cheap 28 qt rectangular can be had for around 15 bucks and will get you started quite nicely. If you have higher aspirations, get a 36 - 48 qt rectangular. Or for 40 bucks you can get a nice ten gallon cylindrical cooler at the depot.

You may already have a picnic cooler that will work well? IMHO a cooler is a cooler is a cooler. No big deal!

A good rule of thumb is a 10 gal. cooler for 5 gal. batches, a 15 gal cooler for 10 gal. Sooner or later, you're probably going to want to try a beer that's big enough that you'll be sorry if you go smaller.

I don't want to hi-jack your thread, but I was looking for an answer to this same question...except I need it for 15 gallon batches. What size cooler? 60qt?

I would error on the side of too big. A 10 gallon cooler works great for my 10 gal batches, and allows me to do 5 gal high gravity brews. If you get a 5 gal cooler you will just end up needing to upgrade eventually anyway.

A 5 gallon cooler would be a bad idea. You can always make a smaller beer in a big mash tun by minding the temperatures closely, mashing thin, and batch sparging. But, when a small tun is maxed out, it's maxed out. I've got a 48 qt cooler, even though I only make 5 gallon batches and rarely do big beers.

I have both a 5 and 10 gallon MLT cooler. I almost never use the 10gal. In fact I think I've only used it once, and lost a lot more heat than i expected.

but, I don't exceed 1.060 for OG on 5 gallon batches, so I don't have a big use for the 10 gallon setup.

I also have a 5 and a 10. my 10 never gets used anymore. I had it when my efficiency was bad forsome of my higher grav beers, but I can fit mos tof my normal beers into the 5 gal without a prob.

i have both a five and a ten gallon mash tun. i use them as a three tier setup so which ever one i am mashing in i use the other one for a hot liquor tank. just an idea it really works well for me

I love my coleman extreme 52 qt. Use it for 5 & 10 gallon batches, and I don't lose more than 1F over an hour for either one.

Go with the 10. I have a 5 and am looking to upgrade. The 5 did me well though. Did about 15 brews over 2 years with it.

Back