Double Simcoe IPA Recipe, Critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewurzel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Type: All Grain
Date: 10/19/2008
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Brewer: Julian Davis
Boil Size: 7.51 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 70.6 %
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5.9 %

1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (90 min) Hops 36.6 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 34.2 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (30 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (15 min) Hops 17.0 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (5 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00%] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.075 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.021 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.0 %
Bitterness: 104.3 IBU Calories: 349 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.0 SRM

You must like simcoe, and why two seperate base malts? Why the corn sugar, it won't add any flavor.

The corn sugar is a good thing. It will help dry it out. Without it, the thing may be too sweet. That makes a double IPA really tough to drink.

I'm not sure what the 2 lbs of pilsner will add. I think it might get lost in everything else, but I could be wrong.

Personally, I'd up the dry hop addition to at least 2.0 oz. I like to use 2-4 oz for a 5 gallon batch, especially a double IPA. It gives it a great aroma and an added flavor you can't get from the additions made during the boil.

That thing is going to be bone dry. Maybe add in a touch of crystal 80 or 120 to give a little more malty backbone.

Also, my instinct would be to use Wyeast 1056 here unless you have a specific reason. This is definitely an American style.

For me anyways I hate Simcoe by itself it smells like cat pee. Mixed with another hop and it seems ok. I am just not a big simcoe fan.

Just a few thoughts. I don't think the English yeasts go well with all Simcoe beers. You could also drop the pilsner and add more Pale. As a matter of fact, use more pale to get the OG up to 1.085 or even 1.090. Gonna be pretty hoppy at 103 IBU's and only 1.075 OG! Also, why the 90 minute boil? 60 minutes should suffice. Just up the 60-min hop addition. Otherwise... yummy!

Depends on whether or not he's trying to clone Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe IPA.

Not Trying to Clone anything.

did take the idea from them though

i just like the simcoe hops and wanted to try it out for myself.

QUOTE=Poobah58;1047083]Just a few thoughts. I don't think the English yeasts go well with all Simcoe beers. You could also drop the pilsner and add more Pale. As a matter of fact, use more pale to get the OG up to 1.085 or even 1.090. Gonna be pretty hoppy at 103 IBU's and only 1.075 OG! Also, why the 90 minute boil? 60 minutes should suffice. Just up the 60-min hop addition. Otherwise... yummy![/QUOTE]

well i acutally brewed this recipe the 90 min boil was to try and bring gravity up.and getting a decent efficency. but with my new kettle i didnt get as much boil off as i did with my old kettle.
so i hit a lower gravity than it was suposed to be.

its still in primary at monemt i may try the 2 oz hops in secondary if i can get my hands on some more by next week,

and i will let you all know how it turns out

thanks for all your sugestions

How did this turn out? I'm thinking of doing an all Simcoe IPA next.

I was thinking of doing something VERY similar, think it could handle 4oz simcoe dry hopped or would that be over doing it?

I love Weyerbachers Double Simcoe IPA. That stuff is awesome. Your recipe sounds great. I might try something like this and do a heavier dry hopping in the secondary!

Have you compared this to Weyerbacher Double IPA?

I like the sound of it but am very curious to how close your result are from it.

Back