Watered down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
My AG recipes turn out "ok"; just "ok". Actually, they taste quite watered down. They smell great in the primary, og is good, they smell strong in the secondary, bottle them wait 3 wks then wammo, disappointment! I'm talking about american ambers and cream ales. My grain bills always consist of 10#. Should I add more grain to the recipes? More hops perhaps? I like to use goldings or clusters for bittering and dry hop for aroma; usually 1oz respectively for each. Please help! I am starting to really despise Jim Koch! (kidding, he is my hero)

First, why don't you post one of your recipes so we can see what your brewing...it could be your recipe..

But, what's you water volume both for mash and sparge?

The only time I had a "watery" AG brew, was my first one, at a friends house on his system...we were having too good a time talking and drinking his schwarzbier that we over sparged, and didn't really boil it down, more like took 5 gallons out of the kettle and left whatever was left behind.....

And the beer noticably tasted watery....

Since then I have gallon notches on my brewspoon, and after running the numbers in beersmith I sparge til I achieve the volume that the program told me to have....

6# Marris Otter 2 row
3# Light Munich Malt
1# Caramel Malt 6 row 60 lovibond
1oz goldings (pellets @ 60min)
1 pkg Ale Yeast
1oz goldings leaf dry hop

4 gallons @ 165f, resulting in 155f for 1hr
batch sparge 3 gallons @ 180ish resulting in 170f for 20 minute

60 minute boil, chill, pitch yeast

Latest posts

Back