Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooklyn-Brewtality

Four Beasts Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This weekend me, my wife and my cousin turned a used 20 c.f. chest freezer I got of craigslist into a Keezer. Here is the build, starting a little after the beginning. It wasn't until we had already gotten started that I decided to document the occasion.
Here is my cousin lining the door with plastic sheet. We took the plastic that was already on it out, to make the build easier, and it also took up too much room, looked ugly, and housed the defunct light.
IMG_0143.jpg

We cut the sheet to size, and taped it to the lid with Gorilla Tape.
IMG_0144.jpg

And then I decided to have a Pliny The Elder and brag about it.
IMG_0145.jpg

Here is the collar. We used 3 inch screws to attach the 2x6's to each other, and then reinforced them with right angle decking brackets to reduce warping down the road.
IMG_0147.jpg

We then lined the 3 interior faces of all 4 sides with the same plastic sheet as above to keep moisture from the wood.
IMG_0148.jpg

Here are my dogs looking down on us. There is a little balcony above the garage that they like to sit on and guard my house from. The German Shepherd, Stacy, barks at anything that goes by. The Siberian Husky, Ice, keeps guard in case anyone walking by is handing out free steak. Anything else than that, and he won't make a sound.
IMG_0149.jpg

Here is the wooden collar laid on top of the lid. At this point, we have already put caulk on the collar, screwed it to the lid, taped the interior plastic in place and stapled the rubber seal to the wooden collar.
IMG_0150.jpg

We then attached insulation board to the inside with screws. With this stuff on, the collar should be just as insulated or more than the freezer itself.
IMG_0151.jpg

And here we are lowering the new collar onto the freezer, hoping it all fits.
IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IT FIT!
IMG_0158.jpg

And we attached it to the original hinges and the work just perfectly, even with all the extra weight.
IMG_0161.jpg

Here is my wife, happily enjoying a Fraoch Heather Ale after the days work.
IMG_0163.jpg

All of us enjoying a brew and relaxing.
IMG_0164.jpg

My wife resting on my 2008 Harley Street Bob holding her beer with no hands.
IMG_0165.jpg

The next day, I installed the temperature probe for the digital controller, as well as the gas disconnect.
IMG_0166.jpg

Here are the shanks installed.
IMG_0167.jpg

Here is the 4-way manifold on the inside. I had to cut away a section of insulation, and then carve out a channel for the tube to run through.
IMG_0169.jpg

All done! Taps on, my motorcycle helmet scaring away any would be thieves.
IMG_0170.jpg

I will be adding to it along the way, making it look nicer. Right now I am not worried about aesthetics, but when I move my brewing out of the garage I will want it to look swanky.

At this point, we have already put caulk on the collar, screwed it to the lid, taped the interior plastic in place and stapled the rubber seal to the wooden collar.

How'd you screw the collar to the lid? More specifically, where did you screw the collar to the lid? Just toe tack some screws threw the side? Or did you add some hanging to the corners to give you something to tack down? I'm about to hit this build up on friday (gettin a little nervous you know?). Yes, I will relax and have a homebrew hahaha.

This weekend me, my wife and my cousin turned a used 20 c.f. chest freezer I got of craigslist into a Keezer. Here is the build, starting a little after the beginning. It wasn't until we had already gotten started that I decided to document the occasion.
Here is my cousin lining the door with plastic sheet. We took the plastic that was already on it out, to make the build easier, and it also took up too much room, looked ugly, and housed the defunct light.

We cut the sheet to size, and taped it to the lid with Gorilla Tape.

And then I decided to have a Pliny The Elder and brag about it.
IMG_0145.jpg

Here is the collar. We used 3 inch screws to attach the 2x6's to each other, and then reinforced them with right angle decking brackets to reduce warping down the road.

Ok and just where in the hell did you get the Pliney from ? My distributor said its not available in NY

curious, is there a reason pro or con to keeping co2 outside the fridge and running a hose inside to pressure kegs?

Pros for outside: don't have to open cabinet to check or adjust pressure; and brass bits won't develop a green patina.
Con: need to stick the cylinder some place secure.

I have three CO2 and a nitro system, all cylinders are outside. I use 1/4" mfl-mfl bulkheads to run gas lines into my fridges and keezer...

Cheers!

Back