burnt pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
From my last boil I have some burn on the bottom, it is a 32 qt pot and has about a 6 in diameter circle of burn wort , it is pretty tough any Ideas to get it off these things are expensive I dont want to buy a new one.

Hot water and a couple scoops of Oxy Clean. That ought to loosen it up a little. Or aybe pour some hot water and a generous amount of bleach and let it sit for a little while.

If your pot is stainless steel, I highly recommend Barkeeper's Friend - it's a powdered cleaner, walmart sells it, and it's dirt cheap. It's absolutely amazing on stainless. Oxiclean does a great job of removing crud (and if there's a significant amount of crud, by all means, start with oxiclean), but for that stubborn wort residue on the bottom, BKF gets stainless steel all the way back to that shiny-brand-new look.

If it's aluminum, I'm not certain if BKF is okay or not. There is some info here:
http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/Cleaning.html
If you DO use it on aluminum I'd highly recommend that no matter what, you boil some plain water in it for a while after to rebuild the protective oxide layer just in case you manage to scrub it off.

Back