Raising Fermentation Temp To Clean Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddyriver

Reaction score
When trying to raise the carboy temp after the initial days of fermentation to drop points and clean up what is a good duration for this step? This is pertaining to my current ale batch. I waited until day 5 of fermentation to raise the carboy temp but my fermentation temp began dropping overnight, from 68F to 67F, so I switched my controller to heat and set the temp to 72F. Now my concerns are is it not a good idea to try to bring the temp back as it goes down? Also if not, and I'm able to get temp back up how long should I try to maintain that temp for clean up?

Sorry, forgot to address another concern. Should probe placement still be insulated to side of carboy when raising the temp on the controller? Or should I dangle it in the chamber, and overshoot in ambient temp to hit my target temp?

I'm going to assume you are using a standard American ale yeast like us-05, 001 or 1056.

If you are getting SG readings near to your target, 36-48 hours should be good for cleanup. If you are more interested in letting the yeast eat through some more sugar keep the temperature @ 70-72 until fermentation is done and you get stable SG readings over a couple ads. You don't ave to obsess over small fluctuations in temp, but if it were to drop into the 60's the yeast might shut down.

Steve

Tape the probe to the outside if the carboy and cover it with something to insulate it from the environment. A couple layers of bubble wrap works well, or a folded up dish towel.

Everybody is going to do it a little different. For me, I wait til active fermentation has stopped. Usually this is after about 3-4 days from brewing. Then I'll raise the temperature in my chamber to about 70 and let it set for the rest of the week. So, basically the same as scook, 36 hours or so. Then I remove the beer from the chamber and let the beer condition/clear in my basement for 2 more weeks before I keg. I also just duct tape the probe to the side of the carboys. May not be perfect, but good enough for me.

Like Hammy said everyone does it different. I use a Thermowell that allows me to have the probe inside the wort. I wait until I see activity slowing down say 3/4 of fermentation is already done.
I will raise the temp 1-2 degrees per day until the temp is where I want it. I will leave it there for 3-4 days and do the opposite and bring the temp back down when fermentation is done.

Thanks guys. So it sounds alright to bring the temp up to 70-72F when active fermentation has slowed and the temp wants to drop. As it's not a big swing in temp. As for probe location during fermentation I do tape and insulate it to my carboy, but was wondering when I want to raise the temp of the carboy if I should temporarily take it off and dangle in fridge or not? My concern being if taped to carboy and I finally hit my target temp that the ambient temp in the fridge would be too high and the carboy temp would keep climbing. Thanks again guys.

What are you using for a heat source? I will be using a small heater with its own thermostat. This way even when the controller is sending power to the heater, the heater itself can only get air to a certain temp, say 75 to 80. Also, lots more mass in 5 gallons of beer than in the air in your fermenting chamber, even if your air temps are pretty high it wont overshoot your beer temps much if at all.

I'm using a Brewer's Edge fermentation space heating pad stuck to inside wall of fridge being controlled by a Brewer's Edge controllerII. So the probe is currently place and insulated to outside of carboy. Current carboy temp 67-68F. Current set controller temp to 72F, differential of 1. Current ambient temp in chamber 75F. So I'm assuming to raise from 68F to 71F with the current ambient already at 75F it could get quite warm in the chamber before warming carboy to target temp. That being my concern.

Maddyriver said:
Thanks guys. So it sounds alright to bring the temp up to 70-72F when active fermentation has slowed and the temp wants to drop. As it's not a big swing in temp. As for probe location during fermentation I do tape and insulate it to my carboy, but was wondering when I want to raise the temp of the carboy if I should temporarily take it off and dangle in fridge or not? My concern being if taped to carboy and I finally hit my target temp that the ambient temp in the fridge would be too high and the carboy temp would keep climbing. Thanks again guys.

You want to take the temp of the beer, not of the air around the beer. Keep the probe attached to carboy. The thermal mass of the beer is much more stable than the air. You're right, the air temp will be colder than your target temp when the beer hits the target temp, but then the fridge stops cooling and begins to warm up a little. It may take a cycle or two before it stabilizes but even then the beer temp adjusts more slowly and gently than a air temp.

Back