What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gometz said:
I actually like the 60 and 90 minute IPA's, but other than that I have no had anything from DFH that I liked. Their 120 was terrible (and friggin expensive!), Midas Touch was just a waste of money, etc.

DFH has some decent stuff. There pumpkin beer and barley wine a good. After years of hatred I grew a fondness for a snifter of 120 minute when it's cold. Their ales are definitely off centered but its not like they don't warn you.

DFH has some decent stuff. There pumpkin beer and barley wine a good. After years of hatred I grew a fondness for a snifter of 120 minute when it's cold. Their ales are definitely off centered but its not like they don't warn you.

I agree the punkin ale is great... Its def my fav but i am selective on pumpkin, christmas, winters and octoberfests... I hate nutmeg, clove and all spice

Well like I said, I'm actually a fan of the 60 minute, and the 90 minute (not as much though). But I am not a pumpkin beer guy, so I'll take your word on that one. Maybe I need to give the 120 a shot again, but it's so damned expensive!

Sam Adams Double Bock.

Maybe I don't appreciate the style, but that was awful! First time in a long time I dumped a beer down the drain.

Rhumbline said:
Sam Adams Double Bock.

Maybe I don't appreciate the style, but that was awful! First time in a long time I dumped a beer down the drain.

What was the age on it? Fresh? It seems like two years is the magic number for that beer. When fresh, I don't like it at all. Age it a couple years and its great.

tripplehazzard said:
I just tried new Belgium's imperial ipa and was very disappointed! !! The hops they used gave it a really trashy taste like decaying garbage. Don't get me wrong... I'm a huge hop head. But they just used the wrong hop combo.. i still drank it but wont be buying it again.

Definitely agree. I thought it was going to be a super charged ranger, and it was not at all. Didn't even taste hoppy to me and had a strange tasting finish. But I will disagree with the guy that said new Belgium sucks. This is the first bad beer I've had from them.

Definitely agree. I thought it was going to be a super charged ranger, and it was not at all. Didn't even taste hoppy to me and had a strange tasting finish. But I will disagree with the guy that said new Belgium sucks. This is the first bad beer I've had from them.

+1. I was disappointed. Ranger seems more imperial than this. New Belgium makes some great beers but most of them don't come in a 6 pack.

Certainly not the "worst craft brew," but SN's Summerfest is pretty bad. One dimensional, and tastes like metal. THen again, maybe I just don't have the palette for pilsners. I like Scrimshaw, though.

Certainly not the "worst craft brew," but SN's Summerfest is pretty bad. One dimensional, and tastes like metal. THen again, maybe I just don't have the palette for pilsners. I like Scrimshaw, though.

I agree. Not the worst, but its not my thing. I don't know what i was expecting, but it didn't work for me.

How can you disagree if you've only had one and it sucked?

Tripel is not a tripel
fat tire has no flavor at all and leaves a film in your mouth
1554 I used to like but now tastes like syrup to me
ranger is not an ipa

m3n00b said:
How can you disagree if you've only had one and it sucked?

Tripel is not a tripel
fat tire has no flavor at all and leaves a film in your mouth
1554 I used to like but now tastes like syrup to me
ranger is not an ipa

What are you talking about! I said its the first BAD beer I had from them, not the first beer. Fat tire is a great beer. Ranger definitely is an IPA. 1554 is my least favorite beer from them but is still good. Their dig and loft were both great summer beers and sunshine is pretty decent too. Rampant is the only one that isn't that good because it dosent taste like an IPA at all. But there not a company that specializes in hoppy beers anyways. And if they suck so bad why do they keep growing and people keep buying their product?

What are you talking about! I said its the first BAD beer I had from them, not the first beer. Fat tire is a great beer. Ranger definitely is an IPA. 1554 is my least favorite beer from them but is still good. Their dig and loft were both great summer beers and sunshine is pretty decent too. Rampant is the only one that isn't that good because it dosent taste like an IPA at all. But there not a company that specializes in hoppy beers anyways. And if they suck so bad why do they keep growing and people keep buying their product?

I guess bud light is the best tasting beer in the world!!!

I used to love NB while I was learning to drink real beer and now think they suck. Oh well. Just my opinion.

I think when you HATE top rated breweries like New Belgium and Bear Republic, the problem probably isn't with the brewery.

If they have an average beer rating of 3.7 or higher on BeerAdvocate, they are probably doing something right.

That doesn't mean they won't make a bad beer every once in a while, but to say that everything they make is awful is silly.

m3n00b said:

I used to love NB while I was learning to drink real beer and now think they suck. Oh well. Just my opinion.

You have a point with the bud light, I'll give That to you. And your right it is your opinion but that dosent mean you have to be dick about it. Especially on a forum that is 100% option based

paliessmann said:
You have a point with the bud light, I'll give That to you. And your right it is your opinion but that dosent mean you have to be dick about it. Especially on a forum that is 100% option based

Opinion****

Just because YOUR tastes change doesn't mean the brewery sucks.

hA8D02172

All the Bear Republic products I've tried suck. Put down Racer 5 as really subpar IPA. How do you screw up an IPA. . . ?

Disagree. I think Racer is okay, there are better. But Hop Rod Rye is very good. Also, some of their brewery only stuff was very good.

McBrewskie said:
Disagree. I think Racer is okay, there are better. But Hop Rod Rye is very good. Also, some of their brewery only stuff was very good.

+1 on Hop Rod Rye. Black Racer is awesome too.

IMO Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is flavored crap water, but it will be 40% of the brewer's volume (craftbrew weekly)this year. So someone is drinking it. Who knew the market for flavored crap water was so big?

Anything by flying dog, I usually keep an open mind about beers but I bought a variety pack and every beer was just plain bad.

Anything by flying dog, I usually keep an open mind about beers but I bought a variety pack and every beer was just plain bad.

I wouldn't say that they're the worst, but I'm not a fan either. I think the reason I don't care for their stuff is that they take a concept, just as one example an IPA, and go to an extreme unbalanced place with it. It's supposed to be bitter? Well let's bitter the sh*t out of it. Although they do make my least favorite (posted earlier), Pearl Necklace. Ugh.

Hebrew brewing anniversary beer. "15 malts, 15 hops, 15 years of brewing" I had maybe 4oz, and felt sick the rest if the night. Almost threw up just choking down that much.

Mdsutton said:
I guess I do not care for Sours, tried DogFish Head's Noble Rot, did not LIKE!

Don't base your tastes on Noble Rot, or anything DFH for that matter. They purposefully brew out of style.

Probably overstating the whole brewery sucks thing. I'm actually actually not sure exactly how many BR products I've tried. But some friends and I did an IPA tasting (Stone, Widmer, Bridgeport, BR, etc) and Racer 5 came in dead last. I was pretty surprised.

Have to try the Rye. . .

Back