Harvesting yeast question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I had my very first successful session with harvesting yeast from my primary fermentor the other week and was curious to know if I could use this yeast with a different style of beer. The yeast is English Ale and I used it for an English Bitter and want to use it for an English IPA. I washed it and canned it up and it in my fridge and looks to be doing great. I know there are some rules with reusing yeast with different styles and such but was curious to know what your thoughts were on using it between these styles. Thanks.

Hey everyone, I had my very first successful session with harvesting yeast from my primary fermentor the other week and was curious to know if I could use this yeast with a different style of beer. The yeast is English Ale and I used it for an English Bitter and want to use it for an English IPA. I washed it and canned it up and it in my fridge and looks to be doing great. I know there are some rules with reusing yeast with different styles and such but was curious to know what your thoughts were on using it between these styles. Thanks.

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Generally you want to reuse yeast from a lower ABV beer on a higher gravity beer if you can. Also one concern would be carry over flavors, (i.e. reusing yeast from a fruit/spiced beer or IPA on something mild). Looks like you should be fine on both accounts. To minimize carryover flavors, just dump almost all of the water on the yeast and leave only enough to swirl and resuspend the yeast to pitch (either directly or into your starter depending on yeast amount needed).

pabloj13 said:
Shouldn't be a problem at all. Generally you want to reuse yeast from a lower ABV beer on a higher gravity beer if you can.

Yea our bitter is only 3.9% and our IPA is 6.5%. So that should work out nicely. I will get it in a nice fresh yeast starter tomorrow. Thanks.

Yea our bitter is only 3.9% and our IPA is 6.5%. So that should work out nicely. I will get it in a nice fresh yeast starter tomorrow. Thanks.

:rockin: Depending on how much slurry you have, you might not even need a starter. Plug everything into Mr. Malty and see how much you need.

:rockin: Depending on how much slurry you have, you might not even need a starter. Plug everything into Mr. Malty and see how much you need.

After running the numbers I would need roughly .5c of yeast. I may be just shy of that. I'll do a starter just to be safe and to get them ramped up.

Back