Lagunitas Hop Stoopid Clone - Straight from Lagunitas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haputanlas

Reaction score
Thought this would make many people happy.

All-Grain
At 70% efficiency
90 minute boil
OG 1.074

14 lbs 2 row
.5 lb Briess Victory
1 oz Nugget at 90 minutes
5.5 ml Hopshot at 60 minutes
0.65 oz Cascade and 0.65 Chinook at 12 min
1.3 oz Simcoe at flameout, wait 10 min before chilling
Pitch yeast starter of y1028 London Ale

Dry Hop
.77 oz chinook
1.5 oz simcoe
3 oz columbus

Extract
90 minute boil
OG 1.074

10.25 lbs Gold Malt Syrup
.5 lb Briess Victory
1.5 oz Nugget at 90 minutes
6.5 ml Hopshot at 60 minutes

Dry Hop
.77 oz chinook
1.5 oz simcoe
3 oz columbus

http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2012/05/lagunitas-hop-stoopid-clone-recipe/

Gonna brew this very soon.

Whole note from Lagunitas and Northern Brewer's homebrew conversion recipe (With the original dry-hop conversion error):

“Hello to all you Homebrewers out there! Lagunitas Brewing Co has put
together (what WE think is) a cool idea for us all to have some extra fun at
your National Homebrew Conference this year in Seattle.

I’m attaching our recipe for Hop Stoopid. Here’s the challenge:

For those of you coming out to the National Conference this year in Seattle,
why don’t you give our Hop Stoopid recipe a go?? Brew a batch and
see how it turns out. Then bring a bottle of your finished product to the
conference and join us in our suite at the Westin Bellvue, attached to the
Hyatt Regency. We’ll have OUR version of Hop Stoopid there AND our Head
Brewer, Jeremy Marshall! You can sample your beer against ours and see
how close you got. Then you can hang out and talk with Jeremy about the
creativity, challenges and the fun of brewing hoppy beers.”

But for all of you homebrewers not lucky enough to be attending the sold-out NHC this year, here is what they provided for the recipe:

96.7% Canadian Rahr 2-Row
3.3% Briess Victory

Note: mash pH adjusted to 5.4 using small charge of acidulated malt
against 2-row portion above (may not be required, depends on water
chemistry and base malt)
13g CaSO4 added to mash

Collect enough volume for 17.8 degrees Plato after boil (depends on %
utilization & brewhouse efficiency)
10% evaporation = about 16.2 Plato concentrating to 17.8 Plato

90 minute boil.
5 grams of CaSO4 added to boil with first hops

On our system most IBU comes from generic super high alpha
(Summit/Nugget/Apollo/Bravo/Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus) T90
pellets and hop extract at the following ratios:

Pellets: contribute 8.6 lbs. of alpha in 85 BBLS
Supercritical CO2 hop extract: 11 lbs. of alpha in 85 BBLS
Both above added at 90 minutes with CaSO4

Middle addition: 22 lbs. Cascade and 22 Chinook with Whirlfloc (at 40
ppm) at 12 minutes remaining in boil

Whirlpool addition (0 minutes): 44 lbs. Simcoe

% utilization and fermentation losses vary quite a bit from system to
system, so take into consideration

Note of Interest: the bitterness alpha all originally came from Simcoe
but in 2007 (“year of the manufactured shortage”) it had to be re-
placed with the generic high alpha but the difference is negligible…

Aerate to 20 ppm O2 and London Ale pitch at 4 lbs./BBL (thick slurry)
or 18 million cells per ml
An FG of 3.6-3.8 is best to simulate final flavor and alcohol so yeast
viability and vitality is essential
Benefits from long warm rest after yeast removal (“transfer to
secondary”)

Very important: Dry Hop Bill

Columbus: 1.2 lbs./bbl
Simcoe: 0.6 lbs./bbl
Chinook: 0.3 lbs./bbl

**Please carefully evaluate quality of the Columbus as it tends to
vary since it is a commodity hop; we select ours very carefully for this
reason and ignore alpha, strictly aroma considered**

Here are my mock-ups of Homebrew-scale recipes:

All-Grain:
At 70% efficiency
90 minute boil
OG 1.074

14 lbs 2 row
.5 lb Briess Victory
1 oz Nugget at 90 minutes
5.5 ml Hopshot at 60 minutes
Dry hop with .6 oz Columbus, .3 oz Simcoe, .15 oz Chinook

Extract:
90 minute boil
OG 1.074

10.25 lbs Gold Malt Syrup
.5 lb Briess Victory
1.5 oz Nugget at 90 minutes
6.5 ml Hopshot at 60 minutes
Dry hop with .6 oz Columbus, .3 oz Simcoe, .15 oz Chinook

Cheers, and good luck!

I heard about this....F'ing AWESOME! Good thing I spent about an hour converting the figures from 85bbl to 5 gallon batches...I didn't come across the NB recipe yet, haha.

The dry hops are off

I get 0.77oz chinook
0.3*16=4.8oz (# converted to oz for bbl dry hop)
31/5=6.2 (31G in BBL divided by 5 gallon batch)
4.8/6.2=0.774

Dry Hops:
0.77oz or 22 grams of chinook...
44G simcoe
88G columbus

i see where you messed up.... you divided the dry hops by 32 rather than 6.2... that would be the correct dry hops for ~1 gallon batches... I've also realized that hopshot is not at all a substitute for supercritical c02 extracts. SC02 extracts have an AA content of about 50% versus the 7-12 in hopshot I chose magnum, but, simcoe seems like a good choice considering whats been said.

hop stoopid.jpg

rrayriver said:
What about mash temps? I hear they mash at 160 for a bit of a sweeter finish.

That was on a CYBI episode--they do all their I/PAs at 158-160, according to the podcast I heard.

This is easily one of my top five beers, but I did pick one up this weekend and it tasted slightly different than usual. I wonder if they have made any changes to their recipe lately?

I attempted to post this yesterday, not sure why it didn't work. However, I still am questioning NB's homebrew scaled recipe.

I did the calculations and the hop schedule comes out to what NB suggests, other than the dry hop which was also seen and corrected by astrinomical above. With the dry hop additions changed as follows:

.77 oz chinook
1.5 oz simcoe
3 oz columbus

I feel the recipe looks much closer than the initial one NB posted. At a homebrew scale I would probably go a little heavier at the flavor additions as well. I mean after all this is supposed to be a "hop stoopid" beer. I might bump the chinook and cascade addition @12 up to 1 oz each and the simcoe @10 to 2 oz.

Thoughts?

i see where you messed up.... you divided the dry hops by 32 rather than 6.2... that would be the correct dry hops for ~1 gallon batches... I've also realized that hopshot is not at all a substitute for supercritical c02 extracts. SC02 extracts have an AA content of about 50% versus the 7-12 in hopshot I chose magnum, but, simcoe seems like a good choice considering whats been said.

NorthernBrewer did the conversion. I will look this over and change it based on the real numbers.

I feel the recipe looks much closer than the initial one NB posted. At a homebrew scale I would probably go a little heavier at the flavor additions as well. I mean after all this is supposed to be a "hop stoopid" beer. I might bump the chinook and cascade addition @12 up to 1 oz each and the simcoe @10 to 2 oz.

Thoughts?

Theres more than one way to skin a cat and I see improvement as a better recourse than cloning! Do what sounds like it would fit your tastes. The only reason I'd try and do an exact clone is if I was actually attending the event and meeting Lags brewer to do a comparison. Beyond that, I say follow your instincts.
I just wanted to post something which seemed like a closer mathmatic replication of the recipe since I saw some discrepencies.

I gotta get my hands on some simcoe so I can brew this :(

Theres more than one way to skin a cat and I see improvement as a better recourse than cloning! Do what sounds like it would fit your tastes. The only reason I'd try and do an exact clone is if I was actually attending the event and meeting Lags brewer to do a comparison. Beyond that, I say follow your instincts.
I just wanted to post something which seemed like a closer mathmatic replication of the recipe since I saw some discrepencies.

I gotta get my hands on some simcoe so I can brew this :(

Agreed. I'm the same way. Can't say I've ever actually used an exact clone of an official recipe. I can just usually tell what I might like better.

It would be good to try the original as a baseline for my brew equipment, but I've always loved the changes I make.

Just updated the recipe on the OP to reflect Astronomical/forum04pl's changes.

Thanks guys.

To those discussing increasing the mash temp -- in the NB post Lagunitas mentioned making sure the beer finishes at 3-4 Plato tops, which to me the beer tastes more like 2-3 which is where I'd keep it to let the hops speak. They also use something similiar to the Fullers strain. I'd mash no higher than the yeast you choose will let in order to get the attenuation. In the cybi union jack episode, Matt Bryndilson mashes at 145 with their Fullers-esque strain to hit 3 Plato.

Food for thought. Also, waiting 10 minutes on the flameout hops seems short. I'd go with 30 minutes for huge flavor and aroma extraction. My opinion of course.

19.6 lbs of alpha in 85 bbl. Isn't that something like 3.68 oz of 100% alpha per bbl or 24.53 oz of 15% alpha hop per bbl. Which is like 4.75 oz of 15% hop in 6 gallons at 90 min. That will be a lot more ibus than 102. More like high 200s.

19.6 lbs of alpha in 85 bbl. Isn't that something like 3.68 oz of 100% alpha per bbl or 24.53 oz of 15% alpha hop per bbl. Which is like 4.75 oz of 15% hop in 6 gallons at 90 min. That will be a lot more ibus than 102. More like high 200s.

Agreed.. I noticed that when I was doing the math and I came to the conclusion that they must have just meant high alpha hops. It would take 4.5oz of 13%AA to reach what was proposed. Definitely more than 102 IBU4U. :)

From a podcast I heard Lagunitas used 102 IBU's on their bottle just because "102 IBU's for you" sounded good haha.

They went on to speak how the beer obviously has well over 100 theoretical IBU's, but once 100+ is reached the human palate can't really pick up the differences.

They have said they do measure IBUs on CYBI.

Over 7 oz of hops in the boil on the homebrew level isn't as crazy to deal with as over 200 lbs in 85 barrels on the pro level. Hence the use of hop extract to reduce wort loss. We can just up the boil volume to compensate for trub/hop loss for a few dollars. Pros are trying to make money so wort losses cost profit.

I used S-05 and usually let it go for a month before dry hopping. However, the FG is usually reached within the first 3-5 days. Didn't check on this batch though.

When I punch this recipe into iBrewmaster I get 83 IBU...but it says right on the bottle 102 IBU 4 U. What gives? Also I need help scaling the hops to a 10 gallon batch...how should I calculate it?

Nevermind, it's because I didn't add the hopshots. But I guess I need to up the grain a bit because at 70% eff I only get 1.065 OG, and it says 1.085 on the bottle.

Tasty, Jamil, and Jeremy go over the details here:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/membersarchive/cybi06-18-12nhc.mp3

Tasty brewed it without the hop extract.

This is the one to brew for sure, but 4.5 something ounces of colombus at 90 minutes just feels wasteful to me? I can't imagine you could taste the difference of 2 oz all at once or the full amount based on a single 90 minute addition. When I do this later this year, I'll have to decide if it's worth it.

This is the one to brew for sure, but 4.5 something ounces of colombus at 90 minutes just feels wasteful to me? I can't imagine you could taste the difference of 2 oz all at once or the full amount based on a single 90 minute addition. When I do this later this year, I'll have to decide if it's worth it.

I just had this tonight, and its amazing... was the 4.5oz of columbus sufficient to replicate the hop shot?

I really want to make this so if anyone can let me know what the best recipe is for this without the hopshot, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

I just had this tonight, and its amazing... was the 4.5oz of columbus sufficient to replicate the hop shot?

I really want to make this so if anyone can let me know what the best recipe is for this without the hopshot, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

I just listened to the podcast and it sounds like the Columbus is sufficient. However, they noted that there was a little bit more of a vegetative character that they expected from the Columbus (vs. the hopshot).

Also note, you will likely lose a bit more beer to the leaf absorption. If you put 4.5 oz of columbus in, you will probably lose .5 gallons or more

So, on the front of a hop stoopid bottle it says: SG 1.084 and alcohol by volume 7.7%. When I punch this all into promash, I get an FG of 1.026 ---that seems like a huge FG something is going on here.... If you go by the posted recipe, SG 1.074 and FG of 1.016 would give you the 7.7 volume alcohol, which seems do-able.
I will be following the posted recipe w/o the hopshot, and I am worried about some off(vegetable, grassy) flavors from the huge bittering addition. Should I use the highest alpha hop I have? or maybe cut down on the IBUs and hope my buddies don't notice? Anything else I can do? or maybe just dont worry have a homebrew etc...

So, on the front of a hop stoopid bottle it says: SG 1.084 and alcohol by volume 7.7%. When I punch this all into promash, I get an FG of 1.026 ---that seems like a huge FG something is going on here.... If you go by the posted recipe, SG 1.074 and FG of 1.016 would give you the 7.7 volume alcohol, which seems do-able.
I will be following the posted recipe w/o the hopshot, and I am worried about some off(vegetable, grassy) flavors from the huge bittering addition. Should I use the highest alpha hop I have? or maybe cut down on the IBUs and hope my buddies don't notice? Anything else I can do? or maybe just dont worry have a homebrew etc...

I brewed it with the hopshots and it turned out dead on. I'd just pick up some hopshots from NB, they are real cheap.

just ordered the ingredients for this..cant wait!! i plan on doing this batch as many times as it takes to get it perfect. probably my favorite beer. Ill post my progress here.

Subscribed.

Want to keep tabs on this thread, so I can brew this in late August.

brewed 6 gallons of this yesterday. came in a little under at 1.071. Tossed some less than active london ale yeast on it and am hoping for the best.

For those who have tasted the clone: How close is it? This is easily becoming one of my favorite beers, and I am planning on brewing the extract version over the winter.

i brewed this about a month ago..i used wyeast 1056 yeast because thats what i had on hand. i also missed my O.G. by about 5 points due to equipment calibration..all that being said, it tastes pretty good. Yesterday i brewed a 10gal batch of the same recipe using the proper yeast and nailed the gravity...i will post progress..ill also let everyone know how the original batch tastes in a few days. initial tastes were thin tasting. Hopefully due to lack of carbonation.

Back