Last nights brew OG off!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ummmmm. Well, last night I brewed a Framboise Lambic. Unfortunately, I got into a bit of the homebrew, then a bit more :drunk: . Pitched the yeast, then realized I forgot to take an OG. I had done a starch conversion test with iodine before I sparged and it looked great. I used 7# pale, and 3# wheat flakes. Finished brewing around 11 PM.
This morning I woke up and found about 1/2 inch of krausen and bubbling like mad. I took a grav and got 33 and had a heart attack:cross: . Upon resusitation by the paramedics I pondered the 33 in light of the 50 target OG, and had another heart attack:cross: .
I don't get it. I was religious with temps, preheating the mash tun, etc.. Could the grav have dropped significantly in the matter of the first 8 hours? Could my OG have been much higher last night than the 33 that I got this am? Is this a do over:( ?

If your primary was krauesening like mad, I'd assume a lot of the sugars were already converted to alcohol, which would drop your gravity reading. I'm assuming everything's fine! :mug:

With a violent krausen like that, keep an eye on your gravities the next day or so. If they slow down, it may be because your yeast got stranded up on the walls of the carboy.

Sounds strange, but my wit does the same thing. Heavy, pudding like krausen clings to the walls during the first 48 hours and then the fermentation slows to a crawl. Giving the carboy a slight swirl to wash that yeast back down, and we were off to the races again.

Just a thought.

Wow, so this may actually not be a failure?!? Cool.

Me being neurotic to begin with, and not taking an OG last night on top of it, I REALLY worry about going into an 18 month ferment with a beer that may have been weak from square one. Hmmmmmmm :( .

I guess there is no way of knowing now is there?? There is a lot more $$ going into this brew with the next added cultures, extract, and fruit. I'd hate to be wrong. :confused:

Dude said:
RDWHAHB. Again, RDWHAHB.
You got me there Dude.

Ugggg

Dude said:
RDWHAHB. Again, RDWHAHB.

Dear Mr. Dude,

What exactly does "RDWHAHB" mean. I'm loathe to admit my lack of web acronym acumen.

Thanks for your consideration, Mr. Dude

Kipbrau

kipbrau said:
Dear Mr. Dude,

What exactly does "RDWHAHB" mean. I'm loathe to admit my lack of web acronym acumen.

Thanks for your consideration, Mr. Dude

Kipbrau

I know this one, because Papazian's book came with my first equipment kit. But, the acronym that really gets me is SWMBWO, or whatever it is. I've gathered from the contexts I see it in that it has something to do with homebrewers' spouses, but as for the actual words, I'm not sure. :confused:

SWMBO: She Who Must Be Obeyed (girlfriend/wifey)

If you ever have any trouble with acronyms, just google 'em. That's how I found out.

mew said:
SWMBO: She Who Must Be Obeyed (girlfriend/wifey)

If you ever have any trouble with acronyms, just google 'em. That's how I found out.

Aha! Thanks. I figured it had something to do with being subservient to the wife, but wasn't 100% sure.

I think we should rename it to She Who Must Back Off. Then again, my wife isn't in the room as I type this...:D

She Who Must Be Obeyed SWMBO. Anyway, leave it alone....anything in the fermenter that long should not be messed with.....too much risk of contamination.

Back