Hops still good after being left out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMarquis

Reaction score
I left some hops out on the counter in my 70-75 degree basement for about a week. They were in the foil package they came in which was folded over tightly at the opening but not completely air-tight. Are they still good?

Smell them. If they smell cheesey, I wouldn't use them. I'm sure they've lost a little potential, but they're still most likely usable.

If someone said throw them out if they smell like oatmeal cookies I think you would have been predisposed to thinking oatmeal. More than likely they are fine, however if they were already in a bad state, that time and temp can push them over the edge. Let someone else smell them and don't alert them to the cheese thing.

Heck, some stores don't even keep their hops in a fridge/freezer.

I'd be a little concerned about buying hops from a shop that doesn't keep them cold. Unless they do very high volume sales and the hops are only out for a week or so, I'd be too scared to buy them.

Back