Need Help with Recipe Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to put together a brew for our entire brew club to do so that each person brews this beer over the next couple of months and then we will all compare it to see how they turn out.

We have extract and all-grain brewers in our club. I'm trying to base the recipe off of Jamil's American Pale Ale because I've done it before and I really enjoy it. It's also not a difficult brew for some of our newer brewers in the group.

The problem I'm having is making the recipe easier for the extract brewers.

The recipe calls for.

8.1# Light LME
.5 # Munich LME
.5 # Wheat LME

I'd like to make it easier so that they don't have to buy 3 cans of extract and try to figure out how to measure 8.1 lbs. and it's also pretty hard to buy half a pound of munich and wheat liquid extract.

What would you suggest? Convert it to DME for ease or steep more of the grains??

It's easy for the all-grainers. Just 11.3 lbs. two row, .75 lb. munich and .5 lb wheat malt.

What is my best bet here? Thanks.

Change it to a PM.

The Munich can convert itself, no problem.

So, I'd say .75 pound Munich malt, and you can either use a tad bit of wheat malt (since wheat LME is only about 50% wheat, that amount is negligible) or use wheat DME instead since it's easier to measure and save.

You could also use DME instead of LME, and do something like this:

4 lbs Light Dry Extract
3 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Liquid Extract
12.0 oz Munich Malt
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt

So, they'd need a 3 pound bag of DME, a 1 pound bag of DME and a 3.3 pound can of LME, with those specialty grains.

Or, you could use 1.5 pounds of two-row instead of 1 pound of DME and mash the grains together. That would only be a bit over two pounds of grain (2.75 pounds), and it might be easier. The instructions can be to mix the grains in a grainbag, and keep them at 150-155 degrees for 45 minutes with a gallon of water, then remove them and bring to a boil. That would be easy for anyone.

Change it to a PM.

The Munich can convert itself, no problem.

So, I'd say .75 pound Munich malt, and you can either use a tad bit of wheat malt (since wheat LME is only about 50% wheat, that amount is negligible) or use wheat DME instead since it's easier to measure and save.

You could also use DME instead of LME, and do something like this:

4 lbs Light Dry Extract
3 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Liquid Extract
12.0 oz Munich Malt
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt

So, they'd need a 3 pound bag of DME, a 1 pound bag of DME and a 3.3 pound can of LME, with those specialty grains.

Or, you could use 1.5 pounds of two-row instead of 1 pound of DME and mash the grains together. That would only be a bit over two pounds of grain (2.75 pounds), and it might be easier. The instructions can be to mix the grains in a grainbag, and keep them at 150-155 degrees for 45 minutes with a gallon of water, then remove them and bring to a boil. That would be easy for anyone.

Very helpful. Thanks Yooper!

Back