speeding ticket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
Really wasn't what I needed since I'm looking for a new car insurance company. 53 in a 35, it's gonna set me back about $181. What really sucks is that I left work 15 minutes early. If I had left at my normal time, this probably wouldn't have happened.

That's cheap. It would run double or more here.

My only moving violation was: "Failure to signal a lane change." Yes, it was the last day of the month.

Two weeks after I moved in to our house in Chesterfield County I got pulled over for the same thing, 53 in a 35, wierd. Take it to the court and if you are lucky, the judge will allow you to go to traffic school and throw the ticket out, or at least keep the points off your license--that should help with shopping for insurance. Traffic school is one day and like 6 or 8 hours, I can't remember what it costs but it will save you money by keeping those insurance costs down.

Sorry about your luck, welcome to Chesterfield.

You could always plead your case in court and tell 'em you're dyslexic. You thought the speed limit was "53" rather than "35".

I haven't moved to Chesterfield county yet, I'm still in Henrico county. I like that dyslexic idea, it's crazy enough to work! just kidding, I'll probably just pay it. I'm not officially guilty yet so it shouldn't show up on my license until after I get my new insurance, right?
I've been to defensive driving classes before (voluntary), what a nightmare!

Those tickets stay on your record, as far as insurance goes, for 5 or 7 years (can't quite remember) so you definitely don't want that on your record. The defensive driving courses suck, to be sure, but they are only one day out of your life and well worth it.

david_42 said:
That's cheap. It would run double or more here.

My only moving violation was: "Failure to signal a lane change." Yes, it was the last day of the month.
I got a ticket for "illegal lane change" without changing lanes during an interstate crackdown one day. The irony is that there were dozens of us heading to the mountains that day and at least 3-4 people had called me to tell me about and I had my cruise control set on exactly the speedlimit.

Since I hadn't had so much as a parking ticket in 14 years the magistrate let me off with court costs. :rolleyes:

I got a ticket, gouing 45 in a 30, about a month or so ago. The pisser was that I had a semi-legit reason to be speeding. My wife had forgotten her wallet when she went to visit a friend in NY, and she didn't have a lot of gas... basically, 25 miles of gas for the last 30 miles (and she was about to ender an area with NO cell reception and LOTS of scary rednecks). She had like $3 in cash AND a hungry toddler in the car. So, I went to "rescue" her at 8:00 in the night at a McDonalds, but was in too much of a rush and got nailed. $150 plus higher insurance for six years, I think. GRR.

I got stopped on my bike the other day for riding in a "bicycle dismount zone". He let me off with a warning, but he said it would have been a $50 ticket.

Just found out I can take the 8 hour "online" class for $48 and get 5 bonus points on my license, the ticket is a 4 pointer. How do I know if I have any positive points already? I've been in VA for 2 1/2 years and this is my first ticket.

The only thing I can think of is to check either DMV online or in person. Normally your points from other states' licenses don't carry over, so you should be okay.

Ok, so, mental note...

No speeding for me in VA or OR... Tickets here don't get that pricey until you hit the 20 MPH + over the limit range.

Sorry about the bad luck Todd. :(

Ize

I think of it this way . . . . if the speed limit was 35 and you were looking to cover 35 miles it would take 1 hour. By bumping up to 53 you would cover the same distance in about 40 minutes . . . only saves you 20 minutes. Your fine was $181 for that 20 minutes wich works out to be about $543/hour (not counting higher insurance premiums). It's just not worth the cash, the wife can pull over, buy the kid a cookie and relax for the 20 extra minutes and then go get her a $100 gift certificate to the spa and call it even, and your still $443 ahead of the game. (that works out to be about 17 5 gallon batches of homebrew at $25/batch)

Be happy you weren't in Wisconsin, anything 16MPH over the limit here is reckless driving and you are looking at being arrested if the cop wants to. (1988 after getting everything reduced I still paid $285 and that was after getting the judge that your mom dated back when they were both 17)

Reckless driving here is 20 or more MPH over. Thankfully I didn't get that. This was a long time coming, I have a lead foot. I've gotten cocky over the last couple years since I stopped using my radar detector (illegal in VA).

Pumbaa said:
(1988 after getting everything reduced I still paid $285 and that was after getting the judge that your mom dated back when they were both 17)

Maybe that's WHY the ticket was so high. Would your mom not put out or something? ;)

I feel ya bud. I just got two parking tickets in Eindhoven totaling over 90 Euro. That's like...over 90 dollars!

<sarcasm>Oh well, hopefully I'm not back in the country for a while, because I might lose the tickets and not know where to send the money. That would be a shame.
</sarcasm>

Luckly everyone here in Phoenix drive on average 10 to 15 mph over the speed limit anyways. :) You can't ticket everyone.

Cregar said:
Luckly everyone here in Phoenix drive on average 10 to 15 mph over the speed limit anyways. :) You can't ticket everyone.

Can't blame them - those rubber highways are super smooth. Just gotta watch out for Big Brother's traffic cameras!

Back