New Batch (#2) Wheat Beer + Cherry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmd06

Reaction score
I started a Cooper's Wheat Beer kit today and grabbed some of the cherry flavoring that my shop had stocked. It's a simple kit (pre-hopped, concentrated liquid malt) so I figured what the hell, let's do a Cherry Wheat this time. I won't add the cherry until the end, maybe a day before bottling (rack on top of the syrup). I took a lot of pics this round so I can compile a slideshow for viral video when she's done. Down the road I will come up with a steeped grain recipe for this Cherry Wheat utilizing a cherry puree instead (I've been told those work best). My next project will be a "California Dream" Wheat which I brought up on another forum. It will be flavored with cherry, orange, and pineapple, like the smoking tobacco I've tasted at my local hookah bars.. I'm overall excited to be brewing finally..

It's rather funny that my impatience towards the first batch has driven me to start another, which will in turn probably urge me to start the next one another week from now lol I only have around 90 bottles collected though, time to start drinking some more pop tops..

I started a Cooper's Wheat Beer kit today and grabbed some of the cherry flavoring that my shop had stocked. It's a simple kit (pre-hopped, concentrated liquid malt) so I figured what the hell, let's do a Cherry Wheat this time. I won't add the cherry until the end, maybe a day before bottling (rack on top of the syrup).

Congrats on going "outside the box" and doing a beer that sounds good to you. Just a heads up, most of those flavorings are meant to be added at bottling, and as far as I know, you won't gain anything by adding it the day before bottling.

...Down the road I will come up with a steeped grain recipe for this Cherry Wheat utilizing a cherry puree instead (I've been told those work best).

I love working with the Oregon Fruit Purees or real fruit. I think they add great flavor to the beer. But they act and taste different than the bottled flavorings. I always ferment mine out for a long time.

My next project will be a "California Dream" Wheat which I brought up on another forum. It will be flavored with cherry, orange, and pineapple, like the smoking tobacco I've tasted at my local hookah bars.. I'm overall excited to be brewing finally..

Glad you are excited about the brewing. And welcome to the brewing club.

It's rather funny that my impatience towards the first batch has driven me to start another, which will in turn probably urge me to start the next one another week from now lol I only have around 90 bottles collected though, time to start drinking some more pop tops..

I'm sure most of us plan out 5-6 batches down the road, and then change it all around, just trying to keep our happy little fermentors full. It makes it fun. Also...Hit up your local restaurants. Usually if you are nice to the bartenders they'll maybe save all the ones they are about to trash while you drink...Or a buying them a pint always works. Gets you some cheap bottles :D

Awesome and thanks. I took some photos of the process today and made a youtube video that you can view here: =)

Last edited by a moderator:
I passed the 3 week mark and I still haven't touched it. Mainly because I need to go pick up some bottle caps, but there's no harm in waiting, is there? =)

We're here on week four. I might go ahead and bottle it in a couple days. I will bottle half as plain wheat beer, and will bottle the other half with the cherry flavor.

Back