Fermentation issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annasdadhockey

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA(AG) 22 days ago, O.G. 1.073, pitched Safale US-05(washed from last batch), 36 hour lag, fermentation started. 3" Krausen shortly after. Awesome, I thought. 9 days later, S.G. 1.048!!! After 14 days, O.G. 1.038. 18 days, 1.028, and stopped. Tried rousing, adding nutrient, adding some Notty, move to warmer area...nada. Any thoughts? It does not taste very good. No infection, just super sweet and tastes like "incomplete fermentation". Can't even taste the 64 IBUs of hops.

Recipe

20# Maris Otter( 1 lb. toasted for an hour)
4# Vienna
1# carapils
1# crystal 20
8 oz Aromatic

Mashed @ 154

Sounds like you tried most of the advice normally given to someone in your situation. One thing that *might* be worth trying is to rack it onto a healthy yeast cake. Any chance you have a pale ale finishing up?

Hi ADH. I don't have any great ideas for you, just want to give you an internet pat-on-the-back. Sounds tremendously frustrating.

For your mash, did you check the temperature? If you missed too high, that could explain why fermentation stopped.

Sounds like you tried most of the advice normally given to someone in your situation. One thing that *might* be worth trying is to rack it onto a healthy yeast cake. Any chance you have a pale ale finishing up?

Unfortunately, no.

Hi ADH. I don't have any great ideas for you, just want to give you an internet pat-on-the-back. Sounds tremendously frustrating.

For your mash, did you check the temperature? If you missed too high, that could explain why fermentation stopped.

I checked it...right on 154F:(

i think that what is said has been right although it totally sucks.

Usually sprinkling notty would help as dry yeast does not "require" aeration (i still would not skip it normally but obviously you cant now) The other option is to make a starter and pitch the entire starter at high krausen, but i would honestly pitch onto another yeast cake :(

I'd get some alpha amylase and add it. 154F is high for any IPA and you just have a lot of unfermentables. Toasting some of the MO added to that.

Doesn't alpha amylase enzyme help in the conversion of starches to sugars? I have plenty of sugars(really sweet tasting), they're just unfermentable apparently. Does it convert nonfermentables to fermentables?

added AE 2 days ago, pitched 1/2 pack rehydrated Notty yesterday, bubblig away today. I don't know where it's gonna stop. Wish me luck!!!

Back