2 weeks in primary vs 1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyzo

Reaction score
OK so I am still a newbie brewer, but I've been reading a ton on here, and searched quite a few threads, and saw that quite a few of you let the brew sit in the primary fermenter for 2 weeks, and others go 1 or so in the primary and then a 2 in the secondary. I was thinking about letting my cream ale go 2 in the primary and straight to bottling and letting the bottles age for 2-3 weeks. Would that be OK?
Thanks

You will be fine. Go longer if you want. If you search for extended primary you will find that many people here will leave a beer in primary for much longer than 2 weeks. I currently have an IPA that has been in primary for over 5 weeks and I might finally bottle it tonight.

Number of days are arbitrary when it comes to fermenting/conditioning. As you move on in beer making you will start to learn that you go by feel and looks and of course your hydrometer. Typically 1-2 weeks is far less that what is needed for a beer to clear.

The word secondary is kinda mis-leading too, you basically want to clear your beer as much as possible before putting it in your serving container whether that is bottles or a keg.

With your cream ale that may be a standard one, I would say go 3-4 weeks in the primary and then crash cool it for several days by putting it into a fridge or something, then transfer to a bottling bucket trying to leave as much trub behind as possible, then leave that in the fridge for a couple of hours to let anything else settle then bottle. You can put your priming sugar in your bottling bucket before transferring so it mixes well too.

i prefer to let my primaries go for at least 2 weeks. i have yet to brew a recipe where the final gravity is achieved in a week (not to say it can't be done). it's always close, but i find a second week usually drops the gravity a few more points. giving the yeast time to do their thing is vital to developing the flavor of the beer.

back when i bottled, 2-3 weeks in primary followed by bottle conditioning always worked for me.

p.d.

Don't let time itself be your indicator though. Be sure to take a hydrometer sample to be sure it's done.

That said, I let mine sit in the primary for 3-4 weeks normally. I don't see the benefit of secondary (not trying to start a debate lol). You should give each method a try eventually and decide what you like best.

You should be fine with 2 weeks...but I think it'd taste better if you gave it 3.

But, if you are just starting out, I wouldn't wait months before bottling the beer. You'll be anxious to try it. . . there will be plenty of time later for letting other beers sit forever.

Rely on your gravity readings. Every beer will progress at it's own rate. Some can take two weeks, some can take two months.

I take gravity readings once a week. When I get the same reading two weeks in a row, I call it done. That also gives the yeast plenty of time to clean up and settle down.

Alright thanks guys :), i think ill be patient and let it go 3 weeks in primary. Thanks again for the advice.

Back