Preservatives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy_awesome

Reaction score
I am brewing my 3rd batch of cider. And I thought I would do something different so I did a 3 gal batch with half dextrose half brown sugar. I also tried a different juice that was on sale.

Now, I wasn't really paying attention and after I pinched my yeast I took a look at the AJ bottle and noticed it said "made from concentrate". It doesn't say anything about sugar added, or preservatives.

I have heard that to make hard cider you need pure AJ, not from concentrate and without any preservatives.

And to add to the paranoia, the yeast is acting fairly weird after about 7 hours, looks like the yeast is multiplying but there is no cake at the bottom and the AJ is still clear. I have added a pic, take a look.

note: the yeastie's aren't stuck to the wall, think of it as 3d they are floating around in the carboy.
p1010935c.jpg

you heard wrong - Concentrate is frequently used in Recipes that want for additional Apple flavor AND a sugar boost for higher gravity - I've been using it exclusively in my Apfelwien recipes, with very pleasing results.

Concentrate is fine -it's apple juice with most of the water removed -just that.
frequently citric acid or Asorbic acid (vitamin C) is added to Concentrate AND all but the most Boutique of apple juice brands to help preserve the color of the juice and add additional nutrients for the kiddies. these are OK, it will not prevent fermentation
Treetop, Motts, and several "house brand" juices contain vitamin C - of the "common" bottled Juice found in bulk I've found in the supermarket, only Martinellis doesn't have it.
pasturized juices are fine too (in fact, you can skip the step of using Campden when using pasturized juice from a sealed bottle) Most supermarkets carry only pasturized juices -ever since the Odwalla Fiasco of the 90's - by law juices sold in a market MUST be labeled "Unpasturized" if they are so.

now these guys:
Sorbic acid (not to be confused with Asorbic acid (vitamin C)
Sodium sorbate
Potassium sorbate
Calcium sorbate
are bad news -these will delay, prevent and otherwise screw with fermentation -avoid juices with these in them.

Back